Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TERRIBLE DOWNLOAD AND UPLOADS SPEED PS4

Hi all I am having terrible bother with my PS4 internet connection speed at the minute.

Basically I have a 500mbps package on the v6 box ran fine for a while then dwindles away to nothing, speed checked through WiFi on my tablet looks fine but....

when I speedcheck the WiFi on my PS4 I am running 45-70mbps download 4.6 upload.

But worse I play PS4 through the Lan cable 39-45mbps and 1.7-2.2mbps upload, gets that bad freezes at some points during gaming totally ruins experience.

I use cat 7 cable as last time virgin blamed this, and tried adjusting the dns settings which test great the first time then afterward problem resumes. 

Has anyone else had similar issues with the v6 box and PS4, scratching my head now as virgin media won’t assist.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TERRIBLE DOWNLOAD AND UPLOADS SPEED PS4

If your using the ps4s speed checker that's not an accurate Speedtest, thats the speed PS network is giving you. 

TRY fast.com on your PS4 for an accurate speed test

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Sony speed test built in to the PS4 (and the PS3 before it) is notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  Not all speed tests sites work in the PS4 browser but even the ones that do never get up to the same speeds on my PS4 that my PC can achieve, even when both are connected via Ethernet.

Try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

It should show better speeds than the built in test but as I say never the full speed of the connection (make sure you select the London test server as it usually defaults to a USA server).

If the speed test above (or the one @jb66 suggested) is still slower via Ethernet than wireless then try a different Ethernet cable to rule out a faulty cable.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As I've mentioned on these forums over the last few weeks I to have noticed the psn is having issues. I'm on the 350mb package and as soon as half 4 in the afternoon comes right through to midnight my speeds will be very slow as low as 44mb on a cat 6 ethernet cable. Sony have throttled the psn servers and to be fair the psn servers weren't the best anyway. I get anything between 210mb-310mb before half 4 when peak time hits and the throttle seems to come into play. My advice to you would be forget doing speed tests on the ps as it's not a fair representation of what you are getting to your property. Get the shortest ethernet cable you own attach it to a laptop and router and go on the which broadband comparison website. I can stand there at half 4 next to the laptop speed test the playstation get 45 mb then on the laptop get 380mb showing the problem is at sonys end not virgins. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi again thanks all for the input, since starting the topic my PS4 is unplayable, constantly crashes when online.
Ran both these speed tests fast net. Tests at 130mbps download but upload varies from 500kbs to 402mbps which is a head scratcher only got 40mbps upload package.
Test my net 26mbps download and ranges from 2-30mbps.
So the tests differ quite a bit which is disappointing though both point out the upload is better than the download at times.
I,m going to try another PS4 and another new cat 7 cable again to eliminate fault, not convinced though with this v6 box have had nothing but bother with it but we will see.

0 Kudos