Menu
Elusivebeaker
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 ruining online gaming

I have recently joined virgin and plugged my Xbox one in to play online Black ops 4 and have to say the experience is horrendous.

I have tried everything, it has the .608 firmware, I have now put the SH3 in modem mode and bought a Netgear nighthawk R7000, tried every setting going, QOS, Upnp on and off, XBox to fixed IP and in DMZ, Nothing makes a difference. 

In speed tests I get a low ping until I actually get into the game and then the last is really noticeable with any intense action, my bullets make no impact, I am killed after one shot etc etc.

Is there anything, anything at all that can be done that I don't know about? I even rang to have my old SH2 activated but as I left and then came back apparently it can't be used on my new account.

If not I am ten months and counting until I can cancel and go back to sky, where I had lower speeds but better hardware and a better gaming experience.

I have the 350 and full house package and would expect better.

Please no suggestions of turning it off and back on and doing a reset, I have tried all the basics

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 ruining online gaming

its as it is is the truthful answer if there is no fault/problem on the line - post some levels to see if all looks ok

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

i guess you got standard answer number one on the SH2 - push on that - you might get it back - try the CEO's office if you meed dead ends elsewhere - cannot post contact details but easy enough to find via Google - there is reference to a broadband expert or dept on other threads who have got involved and found a SH2 to send out so there is a possibility - as a person/dept i have no idea how to contact them but the via the CEO's office would be a good start

you will have to push and expect negative answers but it can be done - if you do get it sorted you would have to drop your speed to 200 afaik 

Tony
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you gaming on a SH3 in router mode, you going to have issues. The SH3 is useless for Gaming.

SH3 in modem mode and your own router is the way to go. I should know, thats how I have been Gaming on VM since 2011.

I have been in modem mode on the SH, SH2, SH2AC and now SH3.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Elusivebeaker
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have the SH3 in modem mode and it is connected to a netgear nighthawk r7000

Still experiencing the issues

I have the SH2 In my possession but as I left virgin at the end of that contract and came back to virgin 2 years later (left because TiVo was awful so went for sky Q - came back because virgin media with the SH2 was great) I have been told that the SH2 Is locked to the old account and there is no physical way humanly possible to reassign the Mac address to my new account.

So it appears that I may have to pay up to leave virgin early as I honestly cannot use this awful SH3 for another 10months

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Elusivebeaker wrote:

I have the SH3 in modem mode and it is connected to a netgear nighthawk r7000

Still experiencing the issues

I have the SH2 In my possession but as I left virgin at the end of that contract and came back to virgin 2 years later (left because TiVo was awful so went for sky Q - came back because virgin media with the SH2 was great) I have been told that the SH2 Is locked to the old account and there is no physical way humanly possible to reassign the Mac address to my new account.

So it appears that I may have to pay up to leave virgin early as I honestly cannot use this awful SH3 for another 10months

i have no idea who you have spoken to to get the info above and it may be true but then again if its offshore any story is possible - you will have to push and push again as NO is the standard easy answer - so assuming the NO you got was from offshore start with retentions - my best guess is you will get nowhere but its worth a try - from there the CEO's office - they may put the SH2 back on your account or as has happened in a few cases they may pass you to the elusive 'broadband expert' who seems to have access to SH2's 

its really up to you and how bad you want the SH2 plus how hard you want to push

like i said the standard answer is NO - dont accept that

retentions if you want it

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Macc60
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I feel your pain, as I have had similar experiences.  You say you have tried the basics, have you tried a ping plotter test to determine what your base Ping is. In game ping is notoriously inaccurate and as BO4 has just been launched it will have all the usual issues associated, overloaded servers, frame rate drops etc. You could be connecting with a other player with a horrible connection before being put into a dedicated server.

You say you have a Nighthawk R700? Does that have the Duma OS firmware, if so you can set your QOS etc.

Have you tried another game that you know plays ok, just to see if the same issue applies. Check all the cables/connections etc and replace any that are not at least Cat5e.

Hope I have been of assistance and that you can get it sorted. I was also on the verge of going back to BT and I was on 100/10 VM upgraded me to 200/10 since then my gaming experience has been better, I don't get as much latency and the ping spikes are in double figures as opposed to high hundreds!

Also if you have a lot of devices using your internet at the same time that will cause lag, as you may well be aware of. 

Macca

0 Kudos
Elusivebeaker
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions, the nighthawk seemed to be making the connection to other equipment over wireless unstable so I have removed it

wasn’t aware of any other firmware so will probably try that and put it back in for a trial

i am currently back to standard due to the instability with the r7000 and the wireless connection is at least stable (albeit running slower than initially some 200mBps as opposed to the 350-370 I was getting over wireless - will have to look at the wireless settings) but the gaming experience is back to before. 

What at is strange is I used a BQM monitor for about 36hkurs during gaming etc on a laptop hooked up through lan to the router and latency was consistently around 40ms which seemed strange as the game noticeably lagged at times

back to the drawing board when I get back off holiday

cheers again

0 Kudos
CursedLemon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'd recommend trying another game to see if you have the same issues, as of launch Black Ops 4's servers have been downgraded considerably from previous COD's or even the Bo4 beta. Google 'Black ops 4 tickrate' and it may start to make more sense why the hit reg is so bad right now. 

0 Kudos
Elusivebeaker
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok,

so the problems continue...

I put everything back to scratch and everything seemed ok initially (albeit the gaming experience still pretty woeful) getting good upload and download speed 

however, as I type this my super hub has had flashing green lights on the front (all 3) which then go off and internet reconnects, then drops again with flashing green lights. It has done this 4 times in the past half hour, I am tearing my hair out here. 

Any my idea what the green lights mean? I have tried service checker and there are no known problems in my area and the equipment test says that virgin think my equipment is turned off, it isn’t but might as well be!

any ideas, other than using it as a door stop and going back to sky?

i have had virgin twice before and never had these issues!

cheers

0 Kudos
Elusivebeaker
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

71273561-11A2-43DD-977D-FF2E0E9658AF.png

77C050AD-E915-4438-A3ED-C49628120E04.png

36718204-6AA9-42E9-A582-55FA55487B1D.png

28FBD627-4A86-474C-8713-1FD7AF8EA37D.png

DE7D29DD-9D4F-4119-9C00-62A79BD479A5.png