Menu
Raven2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Strangely Low WiFi Speed for console

So as the subject suggests I seem to be getting very low WiFi speeds on my console. My ping is about the same as it was with my old WiFi (~60ms) although it's just a lot more stable now and doesn't go much higher like my old one did.

When checking my internet speed on console I'm struggling to get 10mbps, whereas my phone which was less than 1m away from my console managed to get 100mbps.

I'm not sure if it's the consoles issue or the WiFi not reaching it enough for some reason. I was hoping to be able to stream for some friends but at the moment it seems sort of impossible. (Also it may be worth mentioning that the WiFi was installed yesterday (200mbs))

Any help would be much appreciated and I'll try to check back here as frequently as I can.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strangely Low WiFi Speed for console

Could you log into your HUB and check the 'Connected devices' section on the left hand side to see what band your device is connected to?

0 Kudos
Raven2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20201010-120618__01__01.jpg

"Unknown" is the console

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ah so that explain why it's slow. It's connected to the 2.4Ghz band which is not capable of your broadband speed. Some devices, however, are which would mean they can make use of the full broadband speed.

The HUB has 'Smart' technology that is supposed to set each device to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz depending on several factors.

It doesn't always work that well so a lot of users 'Split' the SSID into two, one for each band, by appended the existing SSID with '_2G' and '_5G':

You'll need to reconnect all wireless devices once you 'Apply Changes' at the bottom since the SSID has changed.

Connect to '{SSID}_5G' if you can.

Some legacy devices won't 'see' the 5G network so they must connect to the alternative 2G SSID.

0 Kudos
Raven2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I split the SSID but my console wouldn't find the 5G one I tried to add it (the WiFi to my console) manually but I think I messed it up as it's failing to connect to it. (I also tried the WPS method first and that didn't work)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If your console can't see the 5G SSID then it mustn't have a wireless card capable of those speeds, unless there is a fault?

Which console revision is it?

I assume other devices can see the 5G SSID?

0 Kudos
Raven2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I don't think my console has a fault. I'm unsure of what the console revision is (I've never heard that term until now so I don't know what it means)

Other devices can see the 5G SSID yes.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Which console is it?

Xbox, PS4, etc?

0 Kudos
Raven2
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

PS4

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Does this help? (I don't have a console so can't check myself)

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/How-to-Improve-a-network-connection?language=en_US 

Although it does state:

5 GHz frequency band is supported for PS4™ Slim and PS4™ Pro models.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/8cyjzn/anyway_to_get_5ghz_wifi_on_ps4/ 

Which revision do you have?

0 Kudos