Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Still high ping spike, slow download speed

I've made a couple of threads and posts since joining Virgin Media in March 2020 where I was instantly hit with slow download speeds, high latency, packet loss and Internet dropouts making gaming unplayable.

I have been given probably around 15 - 20 'estimated' fix dates for this issue and told there is an issue with congestion in my area however was not told this at the time of signing up. I recieved a letter from Virgin Media saying my area is now being upgraded on 9th November and can see you are now offering 1GB Internet speeds. I'm currently on 350M and I'd be lucky to get more than 10mb/s consistent download.

Can you please provide me with yet another update on 03 area when this, if ever is actually going to be fixed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still high ping spike, slow download speed

They are hoping that the new technology (DOCSIS 3.1) that enables gigabit speeds, along with the compatible Hub 4 will resolve the congestion issues.  By virtue of the new tech, they can get more capacity out of the network.  Several points to make with that:

1. Fundamentally dishonest of VM to still be signing up new customers to a network location that they knew beforehand was suffering problems because the capacity had been exceeded.  I'd suggest you search out, read and follow the VM complaints Code of Practice demanding compensation for the inherent dishonesty in both selling you a contract they couldn't serve, and then lying about the fix dates.   If VM can't sort your complaint out to your complete satisfaction, then after eight weeks you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS. 
  2. My understanding of the way DOCSIS works is that the benefits of reduced congestion will only arise when a critical mass of customers are using the Hub 4.  Simply having a D3.1 network and a solitary Hub 4 won't help.  Realistically this may take several months yet.
  3. Even when they're handing out Hub 4's some people won't be happy as the device appears to have been launched half-baked, without proper training for support staff and field technicians, and there's a range of teething problems that are causing quite a bit of frustration for some customers, although equally some are very happy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still high ping spike, slow download speed

Thank you for the reply.

It's also nice to see a response from VM themselves *sigh*
0 Kudos