Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Still constant lag spikes making online gaming impossible

Original thread - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/New-Customer-350M-Slow-Internet/td-p/4178728 however re-posted as was hoping someone could potentially help me with a specific issue I am still facing. 

Online gaming is still near impossible since we got VM installed with very bad latency causing lag spikes and disconnects. My ping can range from as low as 3 and go as high as 400 - 500 in a matter of seconds. On doing a bit of research I read that this could potentially be down to the VM Super Hub 3.0 not being up to scratch and recommended purchasing a new router and putting the Super Hub into modem mode. 

I have done exactly that and purchased a Netgear R7800 which I have up and running now however I am still experiencing issues. At the minute, normal internet runs fine it is just any type of gaming is completely out of the question whether I am connected via ethernet cable or WiFi. Streaming Netflix also has it's hit and misses where sometimes it likes to buffer a fair bit and sometimes doesn't even connect. 

All issues are faced with both ethernet connection and WiFi. I've been told there is an fault in my area which is due to be fixed on 06/05/2020 however when I check the service broadband in my area it says there is no issues. My neighbours are also with VM and do not have any issue with gaming. 

I've purchased new Wifi connectors, new Cat7 ethernet cables, rebooted the internet multiple times and also done hard resets but I just can't shift the lag. Before I was with BT and never had an issue the issue is simply with VM. 

Not sure if I need to post my router status on here as it's currently in modem mode however if I do then please let me know. 

Link to QSM; https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/88d4233001bf9a5b0e865a75060e9673ca... 

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still constant lag spikes making online gaming impossible

the issue is because vigrin is over subscribed and they lack infrastructure to support all the data for low latency with everybody being at home, virgin have yet to comment tho stand checking your equipment stuff, nothing is wrong with your hardware its virgins end and looks like they are going to be doing anything anytime soon

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree this most probably has a part to play however our WiFi was installed on 17th March before the whole lock down and since day 1 it's been awful! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully someone can help then but I doubt it I'm probably going to get my landlord to switch providers after the pandemic most likely it has been such a joke especially with no updates or even notice that its an issue just ignoring the problem is so frustrating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

https://i.imgur.com/5SWWojm.png

I'm probably getting FTTC installed for gaming once this pandemic slows down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, utterly ridiculous. this is to a UK server, I have 211 pings to my first hop and even my router. was all fine before self isolation begun... so totally oversubscribed? 

I understand they may not be able to do any work for a while but they sure can enable traffic shaping and prioritise UDP - not really sure why i'd be paying 52+VAT a month otherwise... 

had this problem a while ago and was ignored, had to put up with it for 2 months. this time I am moving providers - everyone in the UK is stuck at home yet all my friends on BT etc have no issues gaming. for the record, W5 London

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully someone from VM or anyone who has a fix for this can post a solution. Shame to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

If it helps I'm KT5 area experiencing this issus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Solution is pretty simple - when corona will disappear all will be back to normal - internet is overloaded too many people at home watching Netflix etc. anyway I prefer lags from time to time instead of kicks and freezes 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I highly doubt that will be the case with my issue as mentioned earlier my issue has happened since day 1 of installation before the corona lock down. My neighbours are also with VM and do not have an issue with gaming it's simply my connection.