Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Static IP for private person

Spoiler
Hi, 

I have Internet stability issues. The speed is fine, it is just not stable enough to play online, it is not a massive issue, but it is annoying me. I asked Virgin customer service, and obviously I was not surprised that they have no idea what they are talking about. I feel like I have better knowledge than them and like I'm talking to a wall. The fact that they are useless is obvious but I tryed anyway.. So... I can't get static IP because it is "unsafe" wow. I know it is a bit less secure, but saying that is is not safe is a lie. I said that I know that and I want it anyway, then they told me that I can't because it is only for business use. So I'm like... Wait so business is not safe then, a business that may loose millions of pounds is not safe, but me having 100 quid on my account is too dangerous... Just wow. I know static IP will help me with my problem and they don't want to give me one. They are keep telling me the issue is somewhere else ( no it is not, I know that 100%). With my last broadband provider I have had set up static IP within the few minutes on the phone, and after that I had stable connection all the time, since first minute it happened. So telling me that the issue is something else is stupid, if someone has no idea what he is saying he should transfer me to someone who knows. I feel like every next person that should be able to help me know less than previous one. Even management is useless, or maybe they are not managers, they are just saying that they are, that's why they know nothing. 

So I need static IP, and I don't have a business. How can I get it. Can I just simply say that I have business and they will do it for me and that's it? I know some people have static IP, and now I can't switch, because of some stupid reason. If someone wants to hack me he will do it anyway, no matter how many and how dynamic my IP is. 

Please help. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static IP for private person

Hello

On Virginmedia the only people who can get a static IP addresses are those that have an account with Virginmedia Business, Consumer cannot have a static IP addresses.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Unlike most other ISPs, residential IPs on Virgin Media are almost static, they very rarely change. I've had the same one for over two years. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 58
Flag for a moderator

and the way your IP is assigned makes no difference to how stable the connection is.

having a static up or a dynamic ip will not change things.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 58
Flag for a moderator

So I don't know then why it is not stable. Sometimes is fine, and sometimes connection is jumping like kangaroo. I remember my previous supplier, and it was 100% stable all the time, no drops, great connection. I know it is possible to achieve, it is the matter of current supplier. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I know, this is what I said. Question is can I make a business acc and then get as if I have business. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 58
Flag for a moderator

you can if you are self employed or have a business. but you can't have TV on a busniess account

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Is there any other supplier that does it better than Virgin? I know this is Virgin fault, but I can't do much about it, this is how it works. Support will tell me that they will fix it, or they work on it (all the time same answer " they just started fixing"), but nothing is changing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 58
Flag for a moderator

well post your power levels and modem stats and expain your problem in more details.
Not suitable enough tells us nothing

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 58
Flag for a moderator

There's not much to say. Lags lags lags. During online game I can see spikes and drops, when downloading something from web there is one single stable line, but when downloading something on steam, spikes again. Looks like virgin does not work with steam as it should. Games like Battlefield are laggy, spikey spikes. It all should be stable like _______________

But it looks like this __/\__--_--___-/-/-

0 Kudos