cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spikes and packet loss - wired connection

Theneils
Tuning in

Hello

My son is complaining about packet loss and spikes. We have a new router and a new ethernet cable, but he still has the issues. He has ASD and this is causing major issues in the house - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I do not understand any of this - so please use simple speak).

Thank you

Kind Regards

Georgina Neil

36 REPLIES 36

Hi @Theneils thanks for your post here in the Community.

I know you've been discussing things with Molly via PM since your post here and hopefully we can get things fixed for you soon.

In terms of a Hub and Router, we provide a Hub but a Router is something you can buy externally (though we can't recommend a certain 3rd party device). With a Router, you'd put your Virgin Media Hub into Modem Mode and then you'd use your own third party Router's connection to game (the Router would use our Hub's connection to work, but you'd be connected to your new Router to use simpler terms).

Other users in the Community may want to elaborate on this, but it may be worth checking websites that stock these if you are interested in going down this route.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thank you Tom, would my phone and TV be affected by this and would the speed be impacted? 

I think it is unfortunate that we have to purchase additional items in order to make best use of your service. My son says it seems that Virgin have put money into delivering the promise of speed - but scrimped on making the rest of the hardware any good!

Hey Theneils, if your other services is connected through the internet then yes it could affect it.

I have done another look and some checks today and everything is looking fine.

We only only guarantee speeds to the hub, not through WIFI. Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi

So, we have a new hub 5. The pods we had don't work with the hub 5, so the upstairs wifi is now intermittent. We don't get the full speed - wired connections testing at around 800 and my laptop - which is right next to the hub is getting less than 200mbps. And there are still complaints about spikes and packet loss!!

My sons tell me to quit Virgin media - I told them there are no guarantees other companies are any different - but honestly - I don't want to have a change of email address 😮.

If anyone can offer me some advice on something that would provide us with a secure connection (not too expensive) to get me through to the end of my contract - I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Theneils_0-1663447426915.png

speed test

spikes

Theneils_1-1663447506259.png

The cables into my house were fitted when Virgin was NTL (22 years ago) - could they be the problem?

Hey Theneils, thank you for reaching back out.

Is there any visible damaged to the cables, have they risen out of the ground or are they torn for example?

The wires are built to last and if there isn't any damage they should be fine.

I have also taken another look and I can't pick up any faults. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I don't see any cables - most are hidden. There is clearly something wrong - here are the last 2 days monitors:

Theneils_0-1663677462199.png

Theneils_1-1663677497121.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Theneils wrote:

The cables into my house were fitted when Virgin was NTL (22 years ago) - could they be the problem?

My cables would be the same, and up until I left VM a month ago, the service was excellent, so no problems with the cable. 

However, I never used the Hub's as routers in all the years I was with VM, but choose to supply my own Router and wifi access points.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello Theneils, thank you for reaching back out.

I have done some tests from our end and I can't see any major issues at the levels are looking fine.

Please can you set up a fresh/live BQM using this link and let me know the results. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?