Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Slow ps4 speeds

I recently joined virgin from sky and have noticed a massive drop on download and upload speeds. 

I have 350mbs package and constantly get these speeds using speed checker on my phone and other devices. The ps4 seems to be getting download speeds of 30mbs or lower and 2mbs upload.

This is a wireless connection and unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to use Lan. I am also using ps4 Pro too.

Can anyone help?

Thanks 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow ps4 speeds

If other devices are getting full speed then your line is working normally and it suggests the issue lies with the PS4 or PSN.

How are you testing the PS4 speeds?  The Sony speed test built in to the console (and the PS3 before it) is notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  Not all speed tests sites work in the PS4 browser but even the ones that do never get up to the same speeds on my PS4 that my PC can achieve, even when both are connected via Ethernet.

Try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

It should show better speeds than the built in test but as I say never the full speed of the connection.

I have always used Ethernet with my consoles so don't have experience of the PS4 WiFi.  I do know that the Pro supports both WiFi bands, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and it is possible that it is only connecting to the hub via the slower 2.4Ghz band.  There are instructions for forcing the PS4 to only use the faster 5Ghz band here:

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/How-to-Improve-a-network-connection?language=en_US

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos