Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Second Router?

I need better internet speed in my room for gaming and wondered how I would go about this? I can’t have a Ethernet cable running from the current router. Do I need a second router installed in my room?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second Router?

Happy to try and have a look at this for you. 

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second Router?

Gaming does not require a lot of speed, I have played PS4 games online on a fairly slow 14Mbps connection just fine.  What gaming needs is a stable connection, which is why Ethernet is always recommended.

One option might be power line adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long Ethernet cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless, so usually better for gaming. Some power line adapter reviews here:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/  

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos