Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SQM Per Packet Overhead

Hello fellow peeps,

I have a third party router that I use in conjunction with the Virgin Superhub 3 in modem mode. The router has opensource software called OpenWRT installed. The software allows you to run Smart Queue Management (SQM). In short, it divides the available bandwidth to my home equally between devices. A great way to reduce bufferbloat for gaming. My question relates to the per packet overhead value that needs to be set for the SQM. The documentation for the SQM suggestions for true fibre to premises values to be set to 44 bytes. Would that be the ideal value for Virgin fibre broadband services? Or is there a better one?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SQM Per Packet Overhead

It say "For Cable - Choose Ethernet, and set per packet overhead to 22" not sure how they come to that number or the overhead they mean I think they mean the MAC VLAN and type but VM don't need VLAN so really the over head is 14 bytes....

You will need to play around with your limits to not buffer back to the hubs limit and egress curve of the hub limits for 100M I fine the following to be best 102,400‬kbps down ‭9,600‬kbps up

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SQM Per Packet Overhead

Thank you for the reply. 14 seems to be a good number to aim for.

0 Kudos