Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Rubberbanding - High Latency

Hello there,

I have been experiencing very high latency on online gaming. My latency goes from 40 to 500 constantly, my games are unplayable. No packet loss through BQM. Changed all my cables, reset my router (multiple times). My package is 350+, I even changed my router, port forwarding. Nothing helped.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rubberbanding - High Latency

Post a link to a shared BQM graph, my telepathy isn't working today.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ouch indeed.

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then peachy from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working perfectly when there isn't too much traffic. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

There is a little glimmer of hope, that as and when your area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, and sufficient customers are using the Hub 4, then that ought to improve matters, but this could be many months, even a year or two hence. Simply having a Hub 4 on its own won't improve matters, and although VM aren't saying so, I suspect that even after D3.1 is active, a significant proportion of customers on an over-utilised segment would have to be using the Hub 4 before the benefits start to appear.  And because VM are still learning as they go with D3.1 and the Hub 4, there's more than a few complaints and problems around the Hub 4.  It certainly can work very well if conditions are right, but at the moment the ratio of complaints in the forums from Hub 4 users is totally disproportionate to the number in use. 

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works, or that they get D3.1 live and hand out Hub 4's like smarties, and that this tactic actually does work. If you're already in a D3.1 area, then (in theory) it is simply waiting for the Hub 4's to be installed and their collective benefit to hopefully materialise.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the feedback. At least now I know it's not hardware related.

If I was to use a third party router with QoS, would that have any effect?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't make any difference I'm afraid!

0 Kudos