Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Router help please, better connection?

Hello, my son is gaming mad but the connection upstairs is less than desirable, even with extenders and Ethernet connected. He wants to buy a router... will this make the connection upstairs better? If so, any cheapish recommendations? 

Also, can the router connect via ethernet to the extender or will the hub have to be put into modem mode? I don’t want to make the downstairs connection worse.

Sorry for all the questions, I am completely clueless when it comes to this 😂 and thank you for any advice given.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router help please, better connection?

Gaming over wifi falls firmly into the bucket of ideas labelled "I wouldn't choose to do that myself".  It introduces additional baseline latency, and more latency spikes (ask your son if this sounds like Dutch).  So the ideal solution is to spend around fifteen quid on some cable (for example this), and run that from the VM hub to the gaming console or PC, although I don't know if that's the right length, or whether it is practical to run the cable round the house to achieve this.

Buying a new router (or mesh system) can alleviate many problems of the mediocre hubs that Virgin Media delight in offering, and I've put my hub into modem mode and done that myself.  But whether that would fix your son's problems depends on their underlying cause, so before accepting any recommendations, you need to do some diagnosis, or consider non-wireless solutions, and you need to be sure that any connectivity problems are not caused by your cable connection rather than the wireless.  As he wants to buy a router, get him to do the research - checking wifi signal strength, making sure that the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands have their own names on the VM hub, and all wireless devices capable of using 5 GHz use that rather than the less capable 2.4 GHz, that "channel optimisation" is turned off.  Also get him to do some speed tests on an ethernet connected device - these should all be hitting your contracted speed, and get him to setup a Broadband Quality Monitor at thinkbroadband.com and check that the latency to the hub is good.

0 Kudos