Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Rocket League - Unable to connect to servers

Hi all,

I've been referred here by the Rocket League tech support team as they are unable to resolve my problem. I've been doing the rounds with them as they haven't been able to offer up any meaningful solution to this issue. When attempting to play online on my Windows 10 PC, I receive the error message "Unable to connect to RL servers - please try again later". Needless to say, trying again later has not worked. Please see a list of failed solutions that I've tried:

1. Removing local game cache files
  2. Resetting Internet Explorer settings
  3. Connecting via Google's public DNS
  4. Flushing my DNS records using CMD / ipconfig
  5. Ran some MTR program (tracert) - more on this later
  6. Disabled all non-MS services running on my PC temporarily
  7. Reset internet time settings
  8. Turned off Windows Firewall (temporarily)
  9. Updating Internet Explorer
  10. Reset internet privacy settings within Internet Options
  11. Updating security protocols within Internet Options
  12. Completely removing the game and Steam from my local storage, and re-adding both to my account.
  13. Did a ping test to Google's public facing IP address - more on this later

Now, for a list of things they suggested that did work:

1. Create a new temporary profile

That's it, just that one thing that they suggested worked. The fact that I didn't need to change my network configuration at all tells me that the problem is with some setting in my profile not liking Rocket League, rather than a problem with my Virgin Media connection as a whole (which works perfectly with every other game / streaming service I've tried). To be blunt, they are trying to shove me off to these forums rather than deal with my support call themselves, which has been going on for 2 weeks now, simply because they don't know how to fix it - frankly unacceptable.

Regarding the tracert / ping results - these results came back with a functional connection, albeit with the following caveats:

1. The TraceRT results showed an "extremely high" amount of lost packets during the initial connection period, according to RL support. In my own personal experience as an IT technician and in use of my router, this is normal, and doesn't create any noticeable difference in terms of user experience. 
  2. Pinging Google resulted in an average latency of 13ms, with one of the 300 ping results coming back as 112ms. I would honestly consider this to be normal, especially as I'm using a wireless connection on a slightly older (2014) PC. I play video games on this PC very often, and I experience no issues in terms of internet connectivity out of the ordinary. One slightly slower but still successfully returned packet is not cause of my connectivity problems to RL servers.

I work in IT myself (1st/2nd line customer support), so I feel I can have a somewhat educated opinion on this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Before anyone asks, I'm unwilling to migrate my entire Windows profile over to a new local profile simply because every other game works just fine - it's clearly a problem with Rocket League in relation to my profile rather than a problem with my profile itself.

What I'm looking for here is for somebody with hopefully more of a network-focused knowledge than myself (I primarily work with hardware/software/Windows OS) to take a quick look through this message and confirm that my logic is sound (or totally wrong) - this does not seem like a problem that my ISP can fix, rather that it should be Rocket League support that deals with this problem. 

I don't believe for one minute that this problem is related to my VM connection but RL support are insisting I contact you before progressing their support at all. Hope to receive a response soon 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rocket League - Unable to connect to servers

Well, I've been playing Rocket League all day, albeit on a dodgy superhub that I have to reboot every so often to maintain low latency. (See SH2 Latency thread if you wanna read).

As a guy who has come up through IT Support to Level 3 and off into programming, I'm quite confident your logic is sound. 
As a Rocket League player, I can also confidently say that if a new profile works for you, that will most likely be the only route to resolving your issue. The reason I say this, is because Psyonix are unlikely to help you troubleshoot a platform issue. This is unfortunate, but they are a small indie company (at least until Epic take over)..... and simply don't have the man power to look at individual cases not affecting the wider community. 

Bottom line, you might have to bite the bullet and go for a refresh. If I find out anything else to the contrary, I'll be sure to let you know.

Lydo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can get high latency with the hub without QoS when something does a download or upload as your playing Rocket League getting your own router with 1Gb ports can help with the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HI

I'm asking for my son - we have the same issue with Rocket League on the Switch via Virgin Media. Cant ever connect to servers.

If he starts a new profile, does he lose all his progress and add on's and things he has bought? That cant be fair - what are the chances of the software company transferring them to a new account?

And would it have to be a new Nintendo Online account or new Rocket League account?

Any help please? Sorry im not a programmer........!

Thanks in advance

Ed 

0 Kudos