Menu
PingSpike66
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Ridiculous ping spikes, rubberbanding in games

I have noticed many other people have experienced the same problem as me and I was wondering if there was a solution. Essentially, whilst my download speeds are great, playing games online is practically impossible due to the insane ping spikes that are constant throughout the day. I have set up a bqm chart to monitor ping and there hasnt been a day where it isnt consistently spiking to over 120 ping. I have heard this may be a problem with the hub 3.0 that I have but I was wondering if there was any solution. I am playing connected through ethernet so it doesnt cut out but the ping is incredibly inconsistent.

Here is a link to the monitor chart and as you can see its pretty bad lol: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/view/e4749965827492d5ae3f015c66e10affd6a... 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ridiculous ping spikes, rubberbanding in games

That BQM is the link to your personal, logged in Thinkbroadband view, so it won't work for anybody else.  Use the "shared" graph facility, and post that link.  However, there's a very good chance it will show over-utilisation (network congestion) that's caused by Covid related home working, schooling and leisure use of the internet.  In the short to medium term there's nothing VM can do to improve matters to address that, because it's related to the underlying standards and assumptions that the network was built on.

If that's correct, you either sit it out and hope that when lockdown ends decent service returns.  Or (if you're not in a fixed term contract, and don't want to wait however long) you investigate other ISP options, because for the most part Openreach isn't suffering the same problems as VM.  But that usually means slower speeds, and there may be availability issues that you'd need to check out with prospective ISPs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos