Menu
simo1972
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Recommended Gaming Setup

Hi

Can people send their recommendations for a good gaming network setup for home to connect to existing VM broadband.

Currently using standard Hub 3 and have 2 PS4's in the house and the usual iPhones (4), Tablets (2), Laptops (2), TVs (3),  Firesticks (3), Sky, Alexa (3) etc. Kids complaining about "glitches" in Fortnite and Rocket League game when online gaming. Normally only one for the PS4s at a time. I have done some minor troubleshooting, hard wired the PS4s into a Netgear switch for all the wired LAN but still using the Hub 3 Wi-Fi for other devices. Could it be a capacity issue? Would a gaming router help? And which one would be a good start? I understand you set  the Hub3 to modem only and connect through a single Ethernet to a new router which would do all the WiFi, DHCP, LAN etc?

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommended Gaming Setup

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't spend any money yet.  If it's a capacity problem ("over-utilisation") then a NASA grade router won't help you.

Setup a BQM, that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
simo1972
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is this what you need....

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9124fa07c0867c02f6e30d3d619f71918c09f5a8

0 Kudos