Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Recently experiencing high ping and latency in-game

Hi all, 

Over the last few weeks I've experienced extremely bad ping spikes in Rocket League and other games with latency variation and ping going from 24 to sitting at 400+. This has never happened before and no hardware changes have been made - my setup is identical to 2 months ago when I had no issues.

I connect with an Ethernet cable directly into a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router passing through a Hub 3. 

I use Glasswire to monitor my network traffic and can confirm no apps are using the internet whilst I'm gaming and I have tried removing all other WiFi devices from the network - issue persists. 

I have reached out to Rocket League support and have run 3 MTR ping latency tests to their servers and received the response that my ISP is likely routing bad connection to the servers from what their tech team can see.RL i3Dnet capture 1.PNG

Above is the screenshots of this. Coincidentally enough, my friend who also is on VM has been having the exact same issues over the last few weeks. 

I'm pretty tech savvy, so I'd appreciate any advice over 'restart your router' or something I will have already tried. Much appreciated!

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently experiencing high ping and latency in-game

Firstly set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mike, 

Thanks for your reply and apologies for not replying faster. Here is a picture of my BQM over the last 24 hours. 

BQM.PNG

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b466ab78fd61c0bad71f2a825cf1f245d5b0cb22

To put it in context, almost every single spike, or set of spikes, is when I have been playing online games (specifically Rocket League). 

Also, when I type 192.168.0.1, I get:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.0.1 took too long to respond.

I assume this is because I am using a Netgear Router instead of the Hub?

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@dt97 wrote:

Also, when I type 192.168.0.1, I get:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.0.1 took too long to respond.

I assume this is because I am using a Netgear Router instead of the Hub?

you want 192.168.100.1

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Finally found someone in the same position (though I've stuck with the Hub3.0 only), been tearing what little hair I have left out over this. Following this thread with interest. Guessing no improvements so far Dan?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cian. Unfortunately not. I’ll let you know if and when I get any help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also experiencing this issue with Rocket League. Please let me know if you found any solutions!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm gonna give it to you straight.

Overloaded Network.

Virgin's Network is heavily oversold and severely under invested.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For anyone still following this, I solved the problem by using a VPN. Didn't hit a single lag spike / latency variation / packet loss after routing my traffic though another UK server. Surprisingly enough my average ping actually dropped. I only have about an hour of anecdotal data, but it seemed stable enough.

So this likely indicates the problem exists downstream between Virgin and the RL servers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for sharing this! 

I have a lifetime sub to NordVPN so I’ll give it a go and post an update! 

FYI for other people interested, things I’ve tried so far that have been promising:

- pin hole reset the router to update firmware

- turn on dynamic QoS in router settings and set gaming pc/PS4 to highest priority

- set PC/PS4 DNS to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 instead of auto DNS

0 Kudos