Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Recent Xbox Live Instability

I have a VM Business connection, which is rock solid at 385Mb down and 20Mb up.  I have the standard business Hitron CGNV4 router, set to modem mode, wired to a NETGEAR Nighthawk R8000P router, which handles all routing and DHCP work.  The router has a wired connection to a Netgear Gigabit Switch, which then has a wired connection to my Xbox.

Recently, I've been struggling with connections to Xbox Live.  I only routinely play Destiny, and I've been getting connection errors, and "contacting servers..." messages, plus significant lag rendering some activities unplayable.  During the bursts of lag, I also have Xbox Live party chat break up and glitch, making me think its an issue with connecting to Xbox Live, not specifically the Destiny game servers.

If I switch the Xbox off, I can happily stream 4K TV to my Amazon Fire Stick with no glitches or issues at all, so the general connection appears to be fine.

My Xbox is in the DMZ, NAT is open, and all the usual things look good.  Bizarrely, when I do a network stat check through the Xbox, it frequently reports higher download speeds than I actually have; Speedtests through the router's firmware top out at 385Mb, but Xbox Live sometimes reports 440Mb or higher.

It looks like I've either got an issue with the router handling traffic to XBL, or a problem with Virgin itself; so I thought it was worth asking if anyone has anything similar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent Xbox Live Instability

Hello

The best place for business support is https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/ this forum is for Consumer support, looking at what you have done everything has been done that is possible.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent Xbox Live Instability

Xbox live has had a lot of issues recently with service and performance issues

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos