Menu
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Question for when playstation 5 arrives.

Good afternoon. 

I currently have 3 ethernet cables plugged into my superhub 3 2 lead into two separate ps4s and one into my switch. My ps4 is plugged into ethernet port 1. Now if I go onto call of duty my Nat type is displayed as open which is ideal for such games and my partners is on moderate. Now obviously we want to avoid both consoles falling into moderate as that may cause complications either with ourselves or with other online players. Am I right in saying only one of us can have Nat type open and that's me currently?

My concern is that because 1 device is open that being my ps4 when the Ps5 comes around it will be moderate. Its worth pointing out that when my Ps5 arrives it will use the same ethernet port my ps4 is currently using. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question for when playstation 5 arrives.

Based on our last interaction on another thread this might be too technical, but I'll give it a try.

The Ethernet port you connect to has no bearing on the NAT status of your console, all ports are equal.

AFAIK the only way to get an open NAT is to put a device in the DMZ by giving it a fixed internal IP address and putting that IP in the router's DMZ settings.  So only one console could be in the DMZ and be open.

I have been gaming online with the PS3 and then the PS4 for over 12 years and never had open NAT, always had a type 2 or moderate NAT and it has never prevented me from gaming online.  Games are designed to work with moderate NAT and it is a myth that you need an open NAT and in fact an open NAT is potentially dangerous as your console has no firewall protection.  While a console might be a much lower security risk in the DMZ than a PC it can still cause issues.  See this thread where a PS4 in the DMZ was picked up as a security risk and a letter sent out by VM due to the way the PS4 uses Spotify, even if you don't use Spotify:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Multicast-DNS-letter/m-p/3315434#M1861005

This issue may have been fixed by Sony/Spotify now, but demonstrates that putting a device in the DMZ can have unexpected consequences.

A genuine issue with having two or more consoles on your LAN is that they will often share the same ports and will require your router to be very good at passing traffic to the correct console via a feature called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).  The VM hubs have a checkered reputation when it comes to UPnP and one of the workarounds is to put one hub in the DMZ and setup port forwarding for the other console.  Some folks with multiple consoles in their household find it better to use a third party router with the hub in modem mode.  I have seen the Netgear router that I use recommended on Playstation and Xbox forums as good for multi console households, but I think most decent routers handle UPnP well these days.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you want multiple consoles to have an Open NAT, you have to use UPnP. Manual port forwarding will only let one device get an Open NAT, as you cannot forward the same ports to multiple devices. The UPnP mechanism can get around this. Ideally you want a decent third-party router that has the latest implementation of UPnP, so it can handle multiple devices and has up-to-date security patches. I wouldn't put the device in the DMZ, as you're essentially exposing it to the entire internet.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
MikeWatts
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I've been trying to talk to someone at Virgin all weekend regarding PS5 Nat type & High Ping issues. Can you please help? With the exact same setup -the same ethernet, coming from the splitter; the same advanced connection settings on the console; and the same open ports - my PS5 has a nat type of 2 and ping of 40-50ms, whereas my ps4 had a nat type of 1 and ping of 15-25. 

I have checked the ping on my pc and it is 11, meaning that it must be a PS5 issue. I even unplugged the ethernet from the pc and put it into the PS5 but the results were the same. 

I also tried making a mac address exception on the DHCP tab for the ps5 but it didn't help. I also tried putting the PS5 in the DMZ and that didn't work either.

Can you or anybody else please help? This is making next-gen online gaming unplayable for me.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
MikeWatts
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS5 High Ping Nat Type Issues

Hi. I've been trying to talk to someone at Virgin all weekend regarding PS5 Nat type & High Ping issues. Can you please help? With the exact same setup - the same ethernet, coming from the splitter; the same advanced connection settings on the console; and the same open ports - my PS5 has a nat type of 2 and ping of 40-50ms, whereas my ps4 had a nat type of 1 and ping of 15-25. 

I have checked the ping on my pc and it is 11, meaning that it must be a PS5 issue. I even unplugged the ethernet from the pc and put it into the PS5 but the results were the same. 

I also tried making a mac address exception on the DHCP tab for the ps5 but it didn't help. I also tried putting the PS5 in the DMZ and that didn't work either.

Can anybody please help? This is making next-gen online gaming unplayable for me.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
MikeWatts
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 High Ping Nat Type Issues COD Cold War

To clarify. The game in question is COD Cold War. It is also my only resource for testing PS5 ping as the web browser has been blocked by Sony. Possible that it's including game processing time, beyond the ping of the network. I have turned ray tracing off but it's still the same, I'm getting taken out before I even see my opponent it's definitely lag. It feels like exactly the same lag I experienced on PS4 before succeeding in getting to Nat Type 1 through port forwarding Hub 3.0.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos