Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ps4 speed test all over the place

I have my ps4 on a ethernet about a foot away from my ps4 console now I know Sony have put a cap on download speeds but I've just done a speed test on my console and it's around the 45mb mark which Is very low for my speeds it even went as low as 19 then shot up to 300. Where's the consistency with these speeds virgin? I'm paying 42 pounds a month for a 350mb package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 speed test all over the place

Hi

A PS4 is not an accurate way of testing BB speeds 

You would get a more accurate result being hardwired into a PC or Laptop  These need to be capable of the speeds you pay for  

I would even suggest that a decent smartphone would give you a more consistent measurement of speed  

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How will any ISP give consistant speeds if you measure it to a junk server with bandwidth throttled, on a device with unkown bandwidth?

Measure it properly- wired test CAT5E cable or better, , directly to the HUB, WiFi ,a device KNOWN to have a Gbps NIC.

That way youll KNOW if its consistent or not.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

NEVER NEVER NEVER use the PS4 test as a guide line for Speeds. Always use a PC on wired for best way.

Even if your PC says your getting 384Mbs, a PS4 will show your getting 10Mbs, its been like this for years.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?