cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with connection when patching WoW

GillB
On our wavelength

I turned on the scan/repair on the battle.net app which is something I do every so often. This was several days ago and, ever since then, my scan goes to 98% but can't move on to update. I've been locked out of the game, basically, as it's constantly scanning even when it's turned off.

I tried all the solutions from the WoW website and the suggestions their tech help gave me and,  after I submitted a WinMTR log from my PC to their patch site yesterday, this was their response:

'The WinMTR logs unfortunately shows a fairly unreliable connection route towards our servers. There are some notable delays and even outright losses of data packets visible, with said issues starting rather early on in the route (within your ISPs regional/national network). The losses especially could very much sabotage any update/scan processes, as those are essentially a real-time comparision between what is installed on your harddrive and how the game files look like on our servers - any data lost in that process would almost certainly lead to results very much akin to what you've described.'

This would explain why the game was playing ok but the update isn't and, because I can't stop the scan loop, I'm completely locked out of the game I'm paying for. 

How can it be fixed?

3 REPLIES 3

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GillB thanks for your post here in the Community although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

I've ran some checks for you, and there doesn't appear to be any network errors on the line and all levels to your Hub are within specifications.

From what you are saying, this doesn't appear to be a networking issue with your Virgin Media broadband - have you noticed any problems on your other devices or games?

Many thanks

Tom_W

GillB
On our wavelength

Thanks for testing and getting back to me and apologies for the delay in replying. I was waiting for another patch to see what happened.
First I had to reinstall the entire game which was a real pain but the small patch was applied ok. Maybe the delays/packet loss were a short term thing that unfortunately happened while I was trying to update the game. 

I did have a phone call with someone who tested the connections and ran through everything with me, but it wasn't the best of conversations as she kept talking about consoles and I kept trying to explain it's a PC game and updates happen while the game is still continuing but I think it was a lost cause.

I do still have a bit of an 'iffy' connection in that some days websites load instantly, other days they are really slow but my gaming problem seems to be fixed though I'll wait until the next big update to see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Hi GillB,

Thank you for reaching back out to us and for the update, glad to hear the issue with gaming has now been resolved and that you have successfully added the patch, if you have any further issues please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.