Menu
AlexTia
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds Newtownabbey (Belfast) making gaming unplayable in the evening

Hi all ,

I am getting over 400 ping in games for a week now after 8pm . Connected through ethernet , computer free of spyware and reinstalled my motherboard network drivers , rebooted modem and turned all wifi devices off when it happens. . I know a lot of people are working from home etc but its only started in the last week.  It is mostly fine during the day, I am on m600. Could someone have a look at this for me please? Thanks

882d904f7a60d0ab26e4ac965f500a1987be0a94.png

cfae1a668cb882fa1cfcbfa4e28f6aed9cd7277d-12-04-2021.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speeds Newtownabbey (Belfast) making gaming unplayable in the evening

@AlexTia wrote:

Hi all ,

I am getting over 400 ping in games for a week now after 8pm . <snip>

Read this thread and all the associated threads within.  Something is amiss in NI and VM have yet to confirm any issues despite BQM's as evidence.

Solved: CSGO 300ping from 8pm - Virgin Media Community - 4691131

0 Kudos
AlexTia
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Adduxi and thanks for the good work on each thread. My friend who is 3 streets away isnt getting any lag after 8pm , we play the same game (PUBG) together. He is on VM too but running from a different cabinet.  Virgin have got to acknowlege there is a problem here, after 8pm is the only time i get online and for the money im paying VM, this is pretty frustrating.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS the VM approach on this so to divide and conquer. In all the threads, despite many similar  BQM’s, VM seem happy to get users to reboot, reset etc. etc.  It’s like no correlation between BQM’s have even been investigated......

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I have it on good authority that the latency problem occurring across a lot of NI connections is now fixed.  Does that appear to be the case?  I'm speaking specifically about the widespread "green monster" problem visible in BQMs, not any individual power or noise issues. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BK88
Tuning in
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Andruser as of last night I was still getting the 8pm spike as usual, I will be on tonight to confirm on my end at least. Let's hope your are right!!!

0 Kudos
BK88
Tuning in
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

VM

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

I have it on good authority that the latency problem occurring across a lot of NI connections is now fixed.  Does that appear to be the case?  I'm speaking specifically about the widespread "green monster" problem visible in BQMs, not any individual power or noise issues. 

Well that's the first I've heard about this.  If it is the case, great.  I'll know when I check my BQM later.

Why can't VM actually admit any of this was going on?  A couple of the last thread responses were "your devices are too close to the Hub" and "there are no network issues" 

It really is not on and I'm sure the Mods who have to post such responses are embarrassed at times!  A bit of transparency would go a long way to restore some faith in VM....  🙂

AlexTia
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I'll check again tonight, happened right on cue last night just after 8pm.

As Adduxi said, why cant they be more transparent and admit there was a fault....

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Well, I don't work for VM, so I can't say why they can't be more transparent, but what I can observe is that the company has always had a "sweep it under the carpet rather than fess up" approach to customer communication.  That's bad for customers, and personally I don't think it does VM any good, but clearly somebody somewhere in VM disagrees.

I would hazard a guess that all of the company's messaging has to go through their marketing department, and the marketing department just don't get the reality of being part of a vast customer service business. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks