---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 33 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor gaming performance

With a PC running pfsense, yes.

It's been working perfectly for three weeks, and magically when the software updated overnight it has stopped working properly again.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 34 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Can you QoS the pfsense to say download 300Mb upload 30Mb to start with and see if it spikes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 35 of 47
Flag for a moderator

That's already done.

Please, I think the evidence I posted is fairly clear. Everything has been running perfectly for the last 3 weeks (since the Hub was swapped out). Last night the Hub does a software update, and all of a sudden everything is back to how it was. If necessary, I can post about three weeks' worth of images from the Quality Monitor, showing pings being poor before the modem swap, perfectly fine for three weeks since, and then awful again since about 3:45 this morning, which happens to coincide with a software update on the Hub.

If you look at the original logs from the start of this thread, you'll also see that the problem originally started around the time the Hub did a software update.

Can someone from Virgin Media please respond to this, and let me know what the next steps are.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 36 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Ok so the new firmware for hub 3 is broken.

Unless your being DDoS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 37 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Unlikely that the DDoS would have started at the exact moment as the Hub upgraded its software, wouldn't you think?

Plus, the traffic graphs on pfsense are far from busy, just the normal stuff that goes on in my home network.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 38 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Firmware version 9.1.1811.401 has been rolling out for about 6 weeks (started late January), it seems quite widely deployed now but this is the only post I've seen reporting problems like this so it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. I'm also on 9.1.1811.401 in Modem Mode (with an ASUS router) and it's fine.

a95d28b9e8c3c1c9774ae6fdb9b763eaba4b42a0-11-03-2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 39 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Yes, a friend of mine is running the same firmware without issue.

However, how do you explain three weeks worth of perfect operation, to be followed 5 minutes after the update to this software by going back to the degraded performance I was seeing before the modem swap?

Just got off the phone and unsurprisingly they are refusing to recognise that there is an issue. Tried to tell me that the kit is designed to be run in 'non-modem' mode, and also trying to push the blame over to my router (which has performed faultlessly for three weeks, then suddenly starts to mis-behave at the exact time that the Virgin Superhub does a software upgrade?).

I work in IT, so have a good understanding of fault finding techniques and the like. For this to happen twice in a month, at the same time as a software update seems fairly conclusive to me.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 40 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the new firmware on the hub don't like your NIC on pfsense?

0 Kudos