Menu
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Poor Connection

Hello,

On Tuesday 19th January, Virgin Media came and installed a new line at my property, which I was very excited about. 

I've come across some problem, and I don't know if im being impatient because the line needs to settle or if my concerns are legitimate.

The WiFi signal is poor and the speed variance is insane. Depending where I am in the house, the speeds I'm getting vary from 400mbps to 30mbps. On top of this, even the places where it's 200+ will sometimes struggle to break 40mbps.

I'm using powerline adapters (purchased new ones that allow up to 1300mbps) and the max I can reach through them is 180mbps (im on the m500 package). Seems a huge loss in speed. We had the whole house re-wired when we moved in.

My biggest concern is the results on the lagometer when playing call of duty games. The green line should be pretty linear, but mine is all over the place. I even moved my pc to test if wiring straight in to the router solved the issue, but I found it worse and got spikes every now and then.

Is anyone familiar with this or can provide some solutions? I've spoken to virgin, they found a fault and asked me to restart. The lady did something for WiFi which has made no difference. They're sending out a virgin ethernet cable to see if it improves the connection.

When I'm on the pc I will post an image of the lagometer.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Connection

Jamie

Go onto thinkbroadband.com, track your latency this will let VM know and see this issue. The download speed is not causing the poor connection its the latency. This is caused from utilisation and in built up areas they have over sold the services and not upgraded anything to handle this many customers using the net at the same time, which is why you are experiencing the poor connection. 

There isn't anything you can do from your end unfortunately. It is down to VM they need to start looking after existing customers as its quite obvious they are failing currently and have been for a while now. Make sure you include your area reference in future posts and track your latency and include in your posts.  

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Jresty100 This is caused from utilisation and in built up areas they have over sold the services and not upgraded anything to handle this many customers using the net at the same time, which is why you are experiencing the poor connection. 

"could be caused" not "is caused".  I'd agree that the problem description sounds like over-utilisation, and that there's a real problem with this at the moment, but there can be other causes too.  As many round here will know, I'm all in favour in holding VM's feet to the fire on such matters, but we'll need the BQM to get an accurate idea.  And if it isn't over-utilisation, there's a good chance that @JamieA30 would have a resolvable problem, so I would not jump to conclusions, even if it's a reasonable supposition.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the responses so far! I believe I've set up the monitoring correctly. How long should I leave this before I collect the results to post here?

0 Kudos
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@JamieA30 wrote:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/50e504cc670b942f1dddffd29e19a3e424...

Hopefully that works. That is the graph from today so far.

Your BQM looks like VERY mild congestion, but nothing that should be noticable (Well maybe in games (40ms)).

One thing to note is the marketing for powerline adapters is terrible. '1300Mbps' powerline adapters with 1Gbps ethernet adapters!?!

180Mbps over your powerline is pretty good to be honest.

You need to test with a wired device plugged directly into the HUB.

0 Kudos
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have tested with a wired connection and the lagometer becomes worse.

I've just played a game, where I've had "connection interrupted" 8 times, which resutls in me going 999 for 1-2 seconds.

0 Kudos
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DRvRCER.pmg[/img]

Direct link: https://imgur.com/DRvRCER.pmg

No idea if embeds work here.

After talking to VM on the phone, they said I needed to try one of their ethernet cables, which came through the post today. I've hooked up my PC directly to the HUB using the ethernet cable.

As you can see from the image above, that is my lagometer in-game, and it's the same on others too. The green line should be almost linear, and as you can see it clearly isn't. As I stated previously as well, my first game using the new internet, these green lines maxed around 8 times, pinging me out at 999 for 1-2 seconds.

I never had this issue with BT, sadly.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JamieA30
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Direct link: https://www.imgur.com/DRvRCER

I apologise if this double posts, I cannot find where my orginal message went.

Above is my lagometer from in-game, and as you can see the green line is a mess - it should be pretty much linear. This is on a wired connection, through an ethernet that VM sent out to me

I also pinged out around 8 times last night for 1-2 seconds, and the green line maxes out on the lagometer.

I never had this problem when I was with BT and I've not changed anything to do with PC / setup etc.

0 Kudos