Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Please PM your Account Number and Area Reference so I can look into this.

Deflection is not helping the customers it only protects the fraudsters at VM that fail to deliver 0.12% of what I and thousnds of others pay for, and surprise surprise once they realise you do know what they claim to be talking about they all disappear.

Like sales persons at PC world that talk pure jibberish at unsuspecting customers pretending to have a clue about what they are saying, I used to enjoy a walk through just to listen to the muppets and put them down with facts in front of those innocent people they would try to con.

Any other ISP that operates in UK even Talk Talk with 3.5mbs down and 1mbs up  can supply a stable 0.12mbs gaming does not need 100's of mbs it needs less than 1mbs of a suitable quality, that is why VM only claim speed and never quality when they pay a jamaican millions to advertise their rubbish.

Any claim of a quality reliable service would see them before a court answeringto every trading standards department at every authority in Ireland, Wales  & England even in jock land it would cost them a back hander!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please PM your Account Number and Area Reference so I can look into this.

Dont worry, Ill be there for you.

Although TBF I could make the same call about you.....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/LATENCY-with-VM-a-JOKE-10mb-on-any-other-provide...

You went quiet when I called you....

Next up....Two references to race in one post? One would almost think you have an axe to grind. EDL much?

Maybe you should stick to wandering round PC World informing all with your "facts". Heres a tip. Get a bluetooth headset. That way the "muppets"  will think your just the local douche, not a mad man. Extra imaginary internet points for the first one to spot the reference...

Also, VM would find it difficult to backhand Trading Standards in Ireland as they dont exist.

They would also have no reason to do so in Great Britain as they are regulated by OFCOM, not TS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Competitive online Gaming like LoL, DoTA2, CS:GO, Valorant (etc) needs a bit more than 1mb/s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

^^ If you do Competitive games and actually play competitively, I wouldn't suggest Virgin, since ping means a lot too and cable internet networks are know to have higher ping due to how they work. 

Come on, need low ping to hit that flick awp shot when you hear steps when you're at tetris.

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

But isn't that what DOCSIS 3.1 on the Gig1 package is meant to reduce?

Latency on DOCSIS 3.1 is supposedly "lower".
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes 3.1 and above are meant to have lowered PING.

But a lot of the UK still doesn't have 3.1. Hopefully by mid next year everyone will.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

DOCSIS3.1 does nothing for ping

LLD was added to the 3.1 spec in 2019.

Its a seperate software upgrade, so provided Headends and specifically the CMTS are upgraded to 3.1, it COULD be rolled out. However given 3.1 has been around since 2013 and has not been rolled out yet...

In other news its unlikely to do much given VM's biscuits and string approach to peering.

And thats before you take into account that ping is not the actual problem- its jitter. And VM have rolled out HUB4 with the PUMA chipset...DOH!

Advice remains the same- Gamer? its openreach for you, especially now theres widespread FTTP

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Being really pedantic (who me!), DOCSIS 3.1 mandates a feature called Advanced Queue Management or AQM which if implemented properly should have a positive impact of latency. It works by deliberately throttling (sounds counter intuitive but there's a good reason for it) upstream TCP packets to avoid excessing buffer usage and packets suddenly getting dropped.

Now I assume that VM have this as it is a required component of DOCSIS 3.1 but what I'm not sure of is if it requires something called OFDM modulation on the upstream channels, which I really don't think they are using. But then not having a Hub 4 I can't be sure at all of that, so more than happy to be corrected.

As stated above Low Latency Docsis (LLD) is a simple (although I believe really expensive) software upgrade for existing 3.1 compliant modems and CMTS equipment and promises 'sub 1ms latency' - yeh I'll believe that when I see it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Not arguing, just expanding

Yes Docsis 3.1 has AQM, it also has more channels so in theory, that SHOULD help with ping- less HUBS using the same channel, less latency.

IRL though, as VM are so far behind the curve the gains have already been squandered, upload bandwidth requirement is increasing faster than adding in AQM or a few extra channels can compensate for. AQM works well with some headroom, however...

Look at the NN1 ATM- we arent talking mega torrent uploaders or people trying to backup a TB to a cloud server- we are talking everyday people doing everyday things all at once.

Technically its all in the pervue of "Tough, we dont support working from home" but I REALLY doubt VM are going to come out and say that- but that IS the issue.

3.1 is dead in the water when it comes to the sort of extreme situation we see ATM. Full duplex 3.1 is basically binned and its going to be 4.0 before its deployed....

On the plus side- wait. It will soon be over (hopefully) and headroom in the network bottlenecks will return to "doable"

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Like all the others I sent it too that just do not bother to reply get  people sending PM's, make it look like there is someone actually doing something apart from taking our money, lI will send it one more time but like the airline this fiasco is just draastically oversold & under invested.

0 Kudos