Menu
conconbarbar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ping spikes

Screenshot_20210110_175304.jpg

 this happens to me randomly every day.

I play games like league of legends and having a stable ping has never been an issue but the last 4 months have been hell with random spikes sum times as high as 600. Engineer has been over and swapped the router but didn't seem to care when I told him it was a ping issue and not speed I'm using a wired 1000mb cable and I'm getting 540mb on 500mb package 

Iv been on the phone 4 times through the same troubleshooting everytime with nothing done to help. I know the problem isn't on my end and it's definitely got somthing to do with lockdown but what are virgin gunna do to help people having this issue 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spikes

Read this thread.  Looks like the cause and your options are explained there.  Not a good situation, equally not something VM have much control over - you could complain to the Chinese embassy....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi conconbarbar,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for posting. We've been discussing your broadband issues via Twitter so thank you for directing me to this thread, I'll do all I can to help.

Whilst Andruser is correct that parts of our network are affected by increased usage during the ongoing pandemic, your area is actually one of the healthiest I've seen recently. Usage levels are well within acceptable thresholds and there's no indication of any congestion for upstream or downstream connections.

However, in taking a closer look at the backend of your individual service, I can see that your upstream power levels are out of spec. We'd need to get an engineer out to resolve this, so I'm happy to book this in for you. I'll send you a private message now to confirm some account details and arrange the best slot. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

Rachael_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for confirming those details via private message. Your engineer visit is all booked in, so please let us know how this goes. If you're still having trouble once this is sorted, we can take another look.

Thanks,

Rachael

Natasha24
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was having the same issue and I am finding it hard to reach out to a member of the Virgin media team so if someone can message me that would be amazing thank you.

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natasha24,

Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry that you've also been experiencing broadband trouble and have struggled to speak with us.

It doesn't look like there's any need for a private conversation for now, as the issues you're reporting seem to be down to an area issue. There is currently an SNR fault raised on the local network under reference F008757909. This was logged today and has an estimated fix date of 25th January. I appreciate that you've been experiencing this issue for some weeks now, it's possible that the SNR levels were out of spec before but have only just breached certain thresholds to flag it with our network team.

In completing further investigations, I can also see that there does appear to be some congestion on the upstream channels in your area. I've gone ahead and escalated this to our network team as well so they can take a look. They may be able to add capacity to the local network, but they will need to take a closer look before any decisions can be made.

This isn't something that can be addressed by an individual engineer visit to your property or any other action within your account, so there would be no value to clearing account security as I have done with the above user.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately nothing you can do, its over utilisation and sold demand in your area.

All VM care about as an ISP is turnover and download speed which generates more customers. 

Your better of trying the second best "speed" ISP, then track the ping on your 30 day free trial to see if it is better.

That is what I will be doing. 

I attach below an example of latency in area reference 03. This will give you an idea of how terrible and over sold the area is with the false advertisement! 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e78c81afeaaa04a20537f035c8f3821f0177e1fe
0 Kudos