cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes, packet loss - oversubscription? (BQM already set up)

HarisF1
On our wavelength

I've had my connection for quite a while and in the recent year I've found it to be getting worse and worse. I initially blamed an old SH3 but that has been replaced in the past week and the connection is no better.

I've set up a BQM and I'm finding hugely inconsistent ping during waking hours with spots of packet loss. Considering my main use of broadband is gaming, I'm at the end of my tether just like many of the posters on this particular forum.

Here is a BQM graph for today - I was not home for the majority of this so the connection was not being used:

BQM Graph 

I've already had an engineer out and the power levels are fine.

Thanks in advance.

25 REPLIES 25

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, your local network is certainly oversubscribed.  Whether you can get anything dpne about it is another matter.  Good luck!

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi HarrisF1, 

Thank you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear of the issues you've been having here - I honestly can appreciate how frustrating it must be. I have been able to check on the system and unfortunately there is an SNR issue affecting the services. The reference to this is F009998645 and the ETA fix on this is on August 4th 2022. I can only apologise in the meantime and I assure you the team will be working hard to resolve the issue. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

HarisF1
On our wavelength

Thank you for the update. This is the last 24hrs or so - completely unusable internet.

BQM for 1st August 

At some point I'll have to consider whether I might need to find an alternative provider for a year or so.

We do appreciate your frustration with this HarisF1. I have checked on our side and it looks as though this has now been resolved. 

Can you confirm if you're continuing to have any issues?

^Martin

HarisF1
On our wavelength

The BQM shows latency variation just like before, I'll have to monitor it for a while. I've not had time to check with any online titles.

I've also given my notice for cancellation earlier today so I'll keep an eye on whether the issue persists. If it doesn't then I'm happy having made a positive step forward in good time.

HarisF1
On our wavelength

Still iffy unfortunately. 60ms average ping with spikes hitting the maximum value for roughly 2 hours.

Hey HarisF1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some connection issues and also you are leaving us shortly.

I can see you have recently spoke to the team, how did that go?  Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I've renewed on a good deal for the Gig1 line since the other full fibre providers aren't fully set up in the area. It's probably a stupid decision but it gives VM a bit of time to sort their end out.

Thanks for coming back to us @HarisF1 and we're glad to hear that you have decided to stay with us, how has your connection been running since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L