Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes, Packet Loss and Lag

Afternoon All,

In May i had issues with consistent ping spikes and packet loss causing lag that unfortunately made competitive online gaming next to impossible. 

After some troubleshooting in the forums an engineer visit was arranged and a 'signal booster' fitted.

The eng. informed me that there was extremely high utilisation in the area (over 97%) and thats where most of my issues were coming from. but capacity was being added soon. 

My connection has been alright over the last few months bar a few days where i would experience heavy lag again. 

Unfortunately my issues have returned with full force and im once again unable to use my connection to properly game. 

I have had a BQM set up since may and can see over the last couple of weeks the ping spikes returning and now packet loss is a big issue too. 

If anyone could run a few tests or provide any assistance i'd be really appreciatve it. 

This has been a recent typical day. Lost of ping spikes and resulting Lag.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/392ea4c378b2f020c4af664ac290518bc5...

Below is my most recent BQM showing the now ever-present packet loss. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cd8338cff5f3361538f785494b3288d860...

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes, Packet Loss and Lag

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's **** during normal waking hours, and then peachy from about half past midnight to 9 am?  Shows that the network and your hub are working perfectly when there isn't too much traffic.  You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters.  In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation.  But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment.  And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works.  Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

There is a little glimmer of hope, that as and when your area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, and sufficient customers are using the Hub 4, then that ought to improve matters, but this could be many months, even a year or two hence.  Simply having a Hub 4 on its own won't improve matters, and although VM aren't saying so, I suspect that even after D3.1 is active, a significant proportion of customers on an over-utilised segment would have to be using the Hub 4 before the benefits start to appear.

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works, or that they get D3.1 live and hand out Hub 4's like smarties, and that this tactic actually does work.  There's a worrying number of posts cropping up from Hub 4 users who are less than impressed with the device, but you can be sure that given the right conditions the Hub 4 can work.  If you're already in a D3.1 area, then (in theory) it is simply waiting for the Hub 4's to be installed and their collective benefit to hopefully materialise.

2) Get yourself a new ISP.  If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a really helpful post and i am in this process myself currently. 

Unfortunately due to where i live i cannot use another ISP as i'm on an openreach exchange only line (something about being too close to the exchange)

Means i can only get 20mbps down and 0.5mbps (yes really!) up. These had their own issues with connections dropping out so had to leave BT (and would have experienced the same issue on any other ISP) 

So they've got me by the balls. 

Would love to know how uneconomic this is, as i will happily give them a couple of grand to just sort this out. It's cheaper than moving house. 

Capitalism is frustrating. I wish i could speak to the person who is project managing the upgrade works to know whether they are actually doing anything... 

It's meant to be fixed by 10th November, i am very sceptical as it was first logged in March. I wonder if there is any way to put pressure on? Maybe engaging with the local MP? We have a labour one here, so hopefully not too much in bed with the service providers 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kieranarstall, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are experiencing a fault for high congestion. The fault reference number is F007908422. This is estimated to be resolved on the 20/11/20 ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi bradebe3, thanks for the message, we have looked into this and we can no longer see any drop outs with the connection or any area outages, can you confirm if you are still having issues with the service and we will aim to assist where we can ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Still the exact same issues, nothing has improved. any help would be appreciated! i have escalated to resolutions with no joy. They just sent me a link to the fault checker, and didnt try to resolve the issue or even understand. 

Thanks again for the help,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, bradebe3

Thanks for coming back to us. Apologies for the delayed reply and indeed the broadband issues.

From checking the system today, there is maintenance in your area. Reference number C01164198. This is due to be completed today at 3pm. 

Please monitor the connection and let us know any further issues.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Theres been no difference as this is an over-utilisation issue and nothing to do with a fault as described and backed up by the bqm in the original post. I have called six or seven times and all im told is theres no registered issues in the area and the line looks 'fine' from here. Could you please escalate this so we can get an engineer out again please? Last engineer who came showed me on his handheld device that my area is at 97-98% utilization, I am almost certain this is the issue againas the symptoms are all the same and so are the bqms. I just would like an honest answer from somebody who works at virgin media, capacity has been oversold and is still being sold in my area and no-one will take responsibility and admit this is a prevalant practice. Its reported hundreds of times through these forums, and multiple forum experts who have networking backgrounds have explained (as you will see above) the true issue. 

Im not getting the service I have been paying for, along with thousands of other customers. Virgin Media are just lucky that the vast majority of the country isnt tech-savvy and will just believe whatever they are told. 

I apologise for the rant but it has to be said. These situatuions could be easily avoided by knowing your capacity in each area before overselling capacity and compromising all exisiting customers connections. 

Thanks for reading this far if you have,

Brad 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes indeed and in a similar boat here too

Sorry if you thought i'd be a virgin guy! 

I've passed this on to my local MP - if you do the same, maybe there'll be some action. That's what Government is for right? to regulate private companies? No... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris

No resolution

0 Kudos