Menu
addzy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes Constantly, what can be done?

I've been experiencing constant ping spikes and packet loss over the last week or so.

In the past used to get a fairly constant ping around 20ms (wired connection), now it seems that average latency is 100ms+ during the day and this varies wildly, up to 500ms+ something!

I've ran a broadband quality test and it seems that the ping is much more stable early morning or late evening. I'm not sure if this is just because Virgin is oversubscribed, or if it's something to do with the router? 

This is really frustrating as makes any kind of gaming incredibly difficult unless i want to do so in the middle of the night. Any advice would be appreciated!

quality.pngstatus.PNGupstream_bond.PNGdownstream_bond_1.PNGdownstream_bond_2.PNG

0 Kudos
spudas2k
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes Constantly, what can be done?

Virgin wont tell you this but there are too many people using their service that they can handle, this is why you , me and THOUSANDS of other people are experiencing the same issue.

Move to another ISP.

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Due to the fact that it seems fine between midnight and 8am this is the clear sight that your area is over subscribed. It may become a little better after lockdown but if your main purpose of broadband is gaming then you would be far better off with the likes of BT, Sky, etc which typically have slower download speeds but far better latency and ping. 

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi addzy, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to see the issues you've been faced with here. As you can appreciate for me to be able to look into this I will need to send you over a private message so that I can take some details and check it out 🙂 Will send one over now. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Perfect - thank you for that information 🙂 

I have checked the account and I can see there is high utilisation in your area - the reference to this is; F008731573 and the ETA fix time is; February 22nd at 16:50PM. I apologise again for any inconvenience and experience this is causing. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
addzy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I hope it gets fixed by then!

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem - least I could do. 

Cheers. 

0 Kudos