Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Packets Loss

Hi there guys I'm having some problems with both download and upload packets loss.
This is having a massive impact on what I do which is Twitch Broadcasting.
My connection keeps dropping and I can't keep my broadcast up.

Been trying to get to the bottom of this and it seems like it's down to ISP.
First tried https://packetlosstest.com/ which reported a total of 80-100% packet loss using their stream preset!

I have also created Broadband quality monitor on thinkbroadband.com to see what is happening, you can find this below
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6af2ff87e725708c446ea9a8c2b26289c1...

I have recently upgraded my router to ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 and running HUB 3.0 in MODEM MODE to see if this would help and improve some things, I have also upgraded all ethernet cables and still having same results.

This problem started occurring around September but it's now to the point where I can't stream, also games are reporting huge packets loss as well.

I would greatly appreciate of anyone from VM tech team could help me with this many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packets Loss

Hello

Looking at the BQM a few minor issues but nothing of major concern.

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike 

I've replaced cables, checked connections etc I've even included thinkbroadband in my message as I've tried to rectify issue as best I can before coming to VM and forums not to waste time. I've added a few shots from Router

Also thank you for your quick response very much appreciated

Untitled 01.png

Untitled 01.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Annotation 2019-12-13 163744.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike
I've replaced cables, checked connections etc I've even included thinkbroadband in my message as I've tried to rectify issue as best I can before coming to VM and forums not to waste time. I've added a few shots from Router
Also thank you for your quick response very much appreciated This is just Annotation 2019-12-13 163744.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike
Also thank you for your quick response very much appreciatedNew 01.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike
Also thank you for your quick response very much appreciated

Sorry I kept missing bit to blank on pictureNew 01.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The BQM only shows one isolated packet loss at about 6pm.  The packetloss test for streaming has settings for an acceptable delay of 100ms but to a server in Virginia so I don't think that's much use.  IIRC Twitch have some diagnostic tools that can test latency to your broadcast point of presence / ingester ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

• Hi Tony

I've used various tools to test including Twitch Inspector and it shows a 10sec issue in one instant. The problem is I had 80 viewers at one point and stream has dipped out. This issue only started late August early September. My speeds are fine but my stream can dip out and my veiwer count drops instantly due to freeze. Ive been with virgin for some time and have the 350 broadband package full TV so it's not the lower end spec of broadband. 

I have been speaking to Streamer in another community and they are having same issue, a VM engineer is attending his property this week. He's given all info the same as me. I changed all internal cables etc for new and put in hrs and hrs of fault finding time even upgrading to a Asus router no joy. So I'm being to guess its external

Thank you for reply and support 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Only just realised it's a live BQM. The connection looks bad right now - could be a fault like noise on the line or maybe some over utilisation

Suggest post your upstream and downstream power levels (you might have tried but some of your screenshot don't show). 

And although it used to work OK, what are your qos settings ie are they prioritising the game/stream and preventing buffer bloat as best as they can. 

0 Kudos