Menu
pkearney
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss while gaming PUBG

Hi there,

As my post title states. I have been getting some packet loss while playing online video games on PC. The issue is quite noticeable while playing PUBG. I haven't seen this issue with other games. I recently upgraded from a standard package to a 1GB package.

I noticed that nearly all the servers I play on are hosted by AWS in the EU (Frankfurt data centre) I've done some ping tests to these servers and I notice a spike in latency and even some requests timeouts.

I have done the usual steps. 

1. Restarted Router
  2. Checked cables
  3. Turned off all wireless connections to ensure my connection is the only one on the router.

Here is an image of the network stats that the game provides.  https://imgur.com/hEGiu5b

pkearney_0-1622128237263.png

As you can see I was getting a 6% packet loss. It usually goes from 1% to around 10%

My ping is decent at around 43ms. /L-A-FRA means I am on a Frankfurt AWS server. What does stand out to me is that it is only the uploading of packets that I am having an issue with.

Some details.

• I live in Ireland
  • I have a high-end gaming PC
  • I use a wired connection to the router
  • I am a software engineer so I have some understanding of networking

I have seen people also have this issue but it magically got fixed. If this continues I might buy a new router and put my VM router into modem mode. If that fails I might move to a different provider.

Here is an image of a speed test I did from Ireland to a random frankfurt server 

Any help with this would be great!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss while gaming PUBG

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

If you're in the Irish Republic, then the staff here can't help because that's a separate company to VM in GB and NI, the "community members" will do what we can to assist.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @pkearney,

Welcome back to our community forums. 

Sorry to hear about your issues while gaming. As mentioned by @Andrew-G are you able to clarify what part of Ireland you reside in so we can find out how to best assist you? 

Thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pkearney
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I live in Lucan, Dublin.

Thanks Phil. 

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response @pkearney.

In that case, please get in contact with Virgin media Ireland as seen here https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/ who can better assist you with your gaming issue.

Many thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos