Menu
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss and lag

I’ve got the same story as a lot of people here- huge packet loss when gaming around 6pm-12am.
What can be done in regards to this?

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss and lag

obligatory bqm graph above. All this connection currently has is myself working from home (one laptop) and a single games console on it at night. Everything else I route via my secondary “backup” LTE connection (which incidentally I can game on fine)

Been with virgin since 2006 but now there are more options available to me than years ago, I do wonder if I should cancel it ( had my price increase letter enabling me to do so thankfully)

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nothing can be done, other than wait, or cancel the VM connection.  The BQM shows over-utilisation, and that's VM-speak for "more traffic than our network can handle".  I reason that most of these instances (and there are many) are attributable to lockdown, and much higher upload demands on the system, the hope is that when lockdown ends things will return to whatever passed for normal on your VM connection.

If you don't like it then it's case of cancelling if you're not in a fixed term contract.  Some users have used the recent price increase as valid grounds for leaving a fixed term contract without penalty, but I think you have to do that within 30 days of VM notifying you of the price rise.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Funny really considering upgrade works were done in my area to enable 350- 500mbit for customers when it was limited to 200 before Xmas. A few years ago VM were limiting me to sub 1mbit between the hours of 6pm and 1am - that went on for 18 months. I don’t think I can be so tolerant now 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's not the download that's normally the problem with the lockdown related over-utilisation, it's mostly the upstream connection.  Despite the high speeds VM happily sell, most households don't come anywhere near maxing out their download speed (except when they do a speed test, or are doing a large file download).  The upstream capacity is much lower, so it is much much easier to use a good proportion of your upload allowance through two or three people using video-conference like services for school or work.  Because almost all networks (power, water, roads, telecoms) are designed with less capacity than if everybody wanted to use them at once, the network architecture is designed around assumptions about only providing a fraction of the cumulative capacity, and because of the unusual circumstances of lockdown those calcs have proven to be wrong for VM's upstream in many locations (but not all, my connection has been fine).  By various flukes of technical history and regulation these same considerations don't apply as much to Openreach, but obviously there's other different downsides there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speeds are absolutely fine for me however it’s only a latency issue I suffer with, which is more annoying for me. The firewall I have this connection running through can only assist so much (limiters/sqm etc) but when the problem exists outside of its control “reach” there really is nothing that can be done. Unfortunately for me my area is on the cusp of 5g roll out and fttp is a good 2 years away at least I’d reckon -  City fibre are doing things in my city but it’s not coming my way yet. I can get by on 4g/lte but I still want a fixed line for gaming and other intensive tasks as it’s extremely difficult to traffic shape a constantly fluctuating lte connection to serve a busy household such as mine effectively. 
It’s a mine field as each technology has its own pitfalls, especially open reach plus I’d need a line install as the last time this house had a working phone line was in 2003/4

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cancelled this morning, dont think they've had a bad innings with me at just shy of 15 years.

0 Kudos