cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and gaming lag

LPorts
Joining in

Hi, I have been with Virgin a year now and consistently see a packet loss symbol on screen whilst gaming. I use a wired connection.

My housemate has the same PLUS regular lag whilst gaming. 

I have the 350mb package, how can i get this resolved?

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Option 1: Phone it in as a fault, and see what happens.  I'd rather have teeth pulled than deal with VM by phone, but it is an option, and VM's preferred approach.  

Option 2: Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

If the BQM shows problems, then we'll probably request hub status data.  You can post that now, but ideally do this after the hub's been running for a good few hours, ideally when you observe the problems.  Pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

If there's evidence of problems from these, then the forum staff can book you a technician without having to phone.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, LPorts.

Sorry to hear that you have been having some connectivity issues with packet loss and lagging. How has you connection been since your post?  Did @Andrew-G help get things sorted for you?

Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,

Corey C