Menu
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss Area 26

I’m on Vivid 200 / SuperHub3 and have been frustrated by slow browsing respond, and som complains about gaming lag.  Found the forum, and SH3 has very poor reputation.  Not surprised - I unplugged everything from it last night, so the only things connected were our mobiles:  [url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8c3fbeb0193d57882a6652faa050e2f02c... Broadband Ping[/url]. They replaced the cable in the development in November, for exactly this reason. And forgot to reconnect my phone when they did so.  Engineer booked for tune up and phone reconnection.

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss Area 26

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/94efa96b9846c2e824cd152b08c6a92e01c3b8f5-05-03-2019
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello AlexC713

Thank you for posting on the forum and welcome to the community.

It's disappointing to hear of the broadband issues experienced, can you confirm if this is over a wired or wireless connection?

Which devices does it effect?

When is the engineer visit due?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Engineer’s been - great bloke - explained the primary broadband problem (signal power exceeded spec - should be +10 but was +17 to +20).  He went back to the main cabinet to do something, and fitted a signal attenuator to the feed into the SH3.  I’m working from home today - that really is home but working, so I’ve not had much time to test it beyond a couple of kick-the-tyres downloads over gigabit ethernet lan using the thinkbroadband files. Connection does seem more stable. And using the Windows 10 performance monitor I could see a nice even 200 Mbs throughput on the Ethernet card.  Ok, there was one moment when it dipped to 50Mbs for a second or two, but that could be anything.  The thinkbroadband quality monitor has cleared up quite a bit, although I’m still seeing lots of 100% packet loss stripes.  They’re much narrower, though, and no longer obliterate the latency data.  Still, it’s the user experience which will tell the tale.  Switching from wired LAN to the 5GHz wifi, it ported the test files across to a second local laptop smartly enough, so the wifi is behaving.  We’ll give the SH3 a gaming and video workout this evening with any luck.  That’s an xBox One over powerline LAN, and Smart TV streaming Amazon Prime HD over gigabit LAN.  Assuming that goes well might as well stress test it a bit and stream some HD video to a couple of phones, too.  Just another typical evening in a busy connected household.  Hence Vivid 200, for busy households with 10+ devices.  We don’t use them all at once but there are a lot of entries in the connections box!

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss Area 26 - live share

Engineer came at 1200, and I did some testing after he left, so ignore anything between 1200-1400.  1250-1305 I was using inSSIDer to identify clearest channels - Auto seems to default to the most congested band everyone else is using.  1305-1340 I was downloading, and 1340-1345I moved them across on wifi.  The bars after 2pm, though, look like the problems not quite resolved.

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You know, I think it looks worse than before!  There was nothing exciting going on in the network - we didn’t get to game and stress test it after all, just watching recorded tv from the TiVo.  We’ll do some over the weekend, I’m sure, and hopefully it’s tbb being somehow overcautious.  Is it just me or does it seem almost like a regular beat?

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

still getting to grips with the whole pasting links thing; was aiming for pictures, like before: 

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss Area 26 - historical data

Not so pretty pictures!

0 Kudos
AlexC713
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss Area 26 - current state

Well, it definitely looks worse than before.  I’ll update after trying some gaming later.

To help other newbies with iPhones: the only way I can paste a picture is to open it in safari, copy the link from the address bar then paste in this post.  Pasting the URL directly just pastes the link as text not a picture.

0 Kudos