cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet burst/loss, stutter. (COD Warzone?)

JFoxy
On our wavelength

Hi all,

Firstly, appreciate anyone who reads through my post and especially anyone who replies.

I’ve been suffering from a stutter during online gaming. It appears that it is mostly to do with COD Warzone but I’m here because I don’t know the cause and can’t narrow it down. On COD Warzone, packet loss/burst is indicated by 3 yellow/orange squares on the left of the screen.

My setup is:

Lenovo Legion 5P (15ARH05H) Laptop – BIOS FSCN11WW

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H

RTX 2060

16GB RAM (8GB Kingston, 8GB Samsung)

237GB C:Drive, 931GB D:Drive

Windows 10 (21H2 19044.1415)

Super Hub 3, running in router mode. 15m Cat6 Ethernet Cable.

I’ve read about puma chipsets, micro stutters on the 15ARH05H laptop to do with the BIOS settings, packet burst issues with COD and anything I can find on the subject. Which is why I’ll probably post this is multiple forums. 

It does appear that there are quite a number of people suffering from issues like this on Virgin Media and actually looking at my old posts, I suffered with packet loss and stuttering in 2019 at a different property on Apex Legends. I had completely forgotten about this and don’t know what the solution was.

So far I have tried:

• Playing on 1m cable in case it was the 15m cable.
  • Playing with the router in modem mode and connected via ethernet. Appeared to improve but still experienced stutters. Only played 3 games like this. It wasn’t stutter free by any means.
  • Updated Ethernet drivers.
  • Played on WiFi.
  • Played other games and don’t seem to suffer with the same issue. Halo Infinite, League of Legends, Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War Tactics, Ori and the Blind Forest. So is it purely the COD game?
  • Tried different GPU drivers with no improvement. 
  • Been through multiple Windows 10 updates. No change.
  • Tried benchmarking after each change to track issues but nothing appeared to point at anything being a problem regards hardware. 
  • Changing on-demand texture streaming to “Disabled” within COD settings.
  • Played at a friends house over WiFi. This was the best it had been for months. 3 games played. 2 were stutter free. The other game experienced a small amount of lag but I did play over WiFi. So does this point at an internet issue at my house?

Could it be a combination of my internet with COD?

I set up a BQM the other day and played COD last night (4th of Jan) and it was very laggy. Looking at the BQM, there are loads of spikes in ping and a couple bits of packet loss. It points to the internet being a problem. Having looked at previous gaming clips I recorded. My ping is much lower and a lot more stable than it is now, so this won’t help. Although the clip doesn’t really show my game spiking with the in-game latency reading, I did notice 150ms at some points.

BQM image for 4th of Jan.

3bc38e87c31065ccf6513084e54dd23b4dad8fed-04-01-2022.png

Video of stutter vs no stutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmrNblkbwrs&ab_channel=ArrestedFox

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JFoxy wrote:

Hi all,

Firstly, appreciate anyone who reads through my post and especially anyone who replies.

I’ve been suffering from a stutter during online gaming. It appears that it is mostly to do with COD Warzone <snip>  

Your BQM is showing classic over utilisation in the area during peak times.  But lets have a look at your stats.

Post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log.  Just copy and paste the information into several posts. 

You could also try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as the main VM status page does not cover small local faults.

I would suggest you stick to the cable for gaming as wifi is too easily disabled by interference.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JFoxy
On our wavelength

Thanks for the response. 

I made two posts by accident. I've posted everything in the other one. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Packet-loss-burst-stutter-COD-Warzone/td-p/49017...

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JFoxy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, Sorry to see you are suffering packet loss while gaming, I have been able to locate your account and have checked everything at our end, I cannot see any issues at all, please can you check all your internal connections are hand tight, once done please unplug the Router from the power leave 2 Minutes then plug back on?

Regards

Paul.