Menu
Klaskan
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Packet Loss - can't play games or have conference calls

Hi there,

I've had Packet Loss issues for about 2 weeks now - see image for current status via ping-plotter PL VM 1.JPG

The PL is detected on basically every single IP I'm connected to. This prevents me from playing any online games (constant lag) or have conference calls when working from home (keep being thrown out / I freeze completely). 

This goes for my desktop, where I'm connected to my Hub 3 via Ethernet cable, as well as my laptop, that is connected via WiFi - experiencing the same issues.

My speeds are good - no latency - I get Up speeds in the 80s, and Down speed in the 10s - expected and normal.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot:

• Disconnect and reconnect router - all cables attached
  • Factory reset router
  • Called Customer Service helpline -  I was informed there was an outage in the area that was going to be fixed by 29th of April - this has clearly not been fixed. I called today, and I got the same answer, except the ETA was moved to May 4th. On your .com it says there are no broadband issues in my area though, just TV issues, which is actually working just fine for me.

Hope someone can help - thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet Loss - can't play games or have conference calls

You're not getting packet loss, at least to the degree you claim. Certainly based on your evidence provided.

You look to be using the free version of ping plotter, as a 10 minute test using 1 ping per second. Judging by your packet loss value of 0.3% and your graphs you lost 2 packets during this time. Okay not fantastic but that could have been literally anything.

You can't lose 100% of your packets while 99.7% get to the destination.

An intermediate node not responding to ICMP or throttling ICMP is fine. It is not a fault. The only thing that matters is if it got to the destination. Considering several nodes with "100% loss" actually resolved the IP address like node bmly-core-2b-xe-230-0.network.virginmedia.net, this would suggest they are configured to respond to ICMP and don't like you hammering them, or something your end is blocking all the ICMP return traffic. More likely something your end. I can ping those nodes fine, and if Virgin Media didn't want anyone pinging them they would block all ICMP.

Put this another way. You will not find any provider who would take you seriously if you called up and said "I've monitored for 10 minutes and lost 2 packets".

You're going to need to set up a BQM using ThinkBroadband, as well as share your hub stats.

hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

He/She is using the Pro version of pingplotter.

BT Full Fibre 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11422019896.png
0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeup you're completely right and I missed that!

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Klaskan thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry you're still experiencing internet issues which are impacting your ability to game or do your job.  I can confirm having found your account from here, that there is still an issue in your area. The estimated fix date/time for this has been extended to 7th May 2021 at midday.  I am really sorry and I do need to reiterate this is estimated only.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos