Menu
sb25
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Packet Loss/Burst & High Latency

VM has been pretty poor for online gaming since the day I signed up. However, putting the hub and modem mode and gaming over ethernet usually gets it to a point where it's playable. Recently my latency has doubled to be around 80-100+ and I'm getting such serve packet loss & burst I find myself rubberbanding all over the place during any game and it's unplayable.

I'm assuming this is Virgin overselling in my area as this doesn't appear to happen from midnight onwards. Is there anything I can do here or am I stuck with VM for the remainder of my contract? I'm assuming they make no latency promises within their contracts. 

Here's my BQM which looks horrendous. I've tried calling the helpline but get told to reboot the modem and then it hangs up which isn't exactly useful. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/764890b4777a42e7113a05ed6831732105c2f5c1-10-01-2021

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet Loss/Burst & High Latency

Your BQM is simply showing that the router is not responding to external ping requests.  Check that it is still trying to monitor your current WAN IP address (these do change), check that the router is set to respond to ICMP requests (that's the most likely issues), and let us know what you find.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sb25
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help Andruser. My IP is static but it appears my router doesn't allow me to enable ICMP request (Google Nest Wifi).

I'm assuming I won't be able to produce a BQM, is there another way to monitor latency so I can see what's going on here?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Riccardo777
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

try disabling the router firewall. if that doesnt work,

switch back to virgin media superhub and disable firewall for the BQM tests.

0 Kudos