cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSN network issues while in router mode.

awtowsey
Dialled in

Think this may be unrelated to the current virgin media/PSN issues as have had this issue for a while. However, don't think a PSN issue. 

I have a hub 3. When it's in router mode there are little to no issues with my ps5/ps4 connecting to the psn and speeds are good (barring current issues in another thread) However,  when my hub 3 is in modem only mode and I use my own router (non virgin media plume pods) the speeds drop to both the ps5 and ps4 and the connection becomes sluggish. As a note, I have no issue with any other device on my network. 

I have contacted Plume support and there are no issues with the pods. 

The only way to resolve this, it appears at the moment is to keep my hub 3  in router mode, which I'm not keen on.

26 REPLIES 26

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What router are you using, or is one of the Plume Pods a combined router/access point?

Is there any QoS running on the Plume units?  What is the maximum throughput on the WAN link to your router?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, the main pod I have connected to my hub is the combined router/access point as you put it. There is QoS/network optimisation  in the background. Have been onto the Plume support already and they could not find any issues with the pods.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wired of WiFi to the console? Try a wired connection direct between the console and Hub when in modem mode. This will rule out any WiFi/QoS problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yep, have it wired already 👍

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the Hub in modem mode when testing from the console? IE there should only be the console connected to the Hub. 

Yes, the Hub is in modem only mode when testing. Console won't be connected directly to the Hub as wouldn't get an ip address then. So basically playstation wired to my plume pod router which is wired to the Hub.

Like I said in the original post I have little to no issues when Hub in router mode. However, I prefer to have the Hub in modem only mode and have my plume pods do the routing. I have other devices wired in and use tablets/phones/laptops etc on the plume wireless, all of which have no issues. On running speed test through my other devices they all hit 520 + meg download and 37+ upload with no issue.

The only devices that have the issue, when in modem only mode, are my PlayStations. Speed test average below 80 meg download 20 up and app appear to struggle with constant buffering.

If I put the Hub back into router mode the playstations work fine, with no issues. But like I said I don't prefer this.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect a PlayStation to the hub in modem mode and do a speed test
---------------------------------------------------------------

That wouldn't work. The playstation wouldn't get an ip address while connected directly to hub while it  is modem only mode so would not be able connect to the Internet.