Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PSN IP Ban, told me to speak to my ISP

So, what do I do? Customer service isn’t answering, I’ve tried calling them 3 times now. How do I know when it gets unbanned? I’m really worried. I’ve been IP banned due to booters in one of Rockstar’s games as they don’t use dedicated servers. Not sure what’s happening, just want to get back online. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: PSN IP Ban, told me to speak to my ISP

Hello

I am afraid there is nothing that virginmedia can do to help, if PSN has banned your IP only they can release the ban. Looking around PSN only ban IP's once a full investigation has been done, the onus is on them.

Sounds like they are passing the blame to your ISP.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So definitely PSN banned me? They told me there wasn’t anything wrong on my account and that I should speak to my ISP, and do did rockstar support. Is this ban permanent? A couple of friend were IP banned aswell as they were also in the session at that time, and one of them has had it happen before and is also on virgin. He said his would get unbanned in 120 hours, but he didn’t speak to virgin I believe he’s just speaking from experience. Will I also be unbanned in 120 hours?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As stated Virginmedia cannot tell you that information, Virginmedia didnt ban you PSN did. I afraid there is nothing that virginmedia can do.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you can change your ip by putting the hub into modem mode and adding your own router or if that is your setup now removing the router and running the hub in 'normal' mode

other than that you have no other choice via VM - they have not banned you and will not change your ip addy other by the method above

the VM ip addy is not static but can 'stick' for months or years so rebooting or resetting as some might tell you to do will not change your ip

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do no PSN games go online for you? Or is it just one particular game you referred to that uses P2P?

Are you getting a PSN error code, if so which one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

None work for me, I can’t remember the error code but when I was on PSN support it said that error code means I’m banned or suspended from PSN. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@swanpoll wrote:

None work for me, I can’t remember the error code but when I was on PSN support it said that error code means I’m banned or suspended from PSN. 

If you can't remember the code, does that mean it is no longer showing up when you try to log in to PSN?  My understanding is that it should continue to show the code very time you try to login while any ban is in place.

Sony use a company called Akamai to protect their network and it is often them doing the banning, which is why Sony support might not know about it and think it is an ISP issue, which it is not.  You can check if your IP address is being blocked by Akamai here:

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

If it is being blocked by them then they usually explain why the block is in place.

The blocks are usually temporary and as your friend says it might be lifted in 120 hours but it might be longer.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Has your PSN account been banned, have you checked that?