Menu
Reply
Lee1ngham
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
220 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

Hey,

I’m quite new to Virgin as recently moved over from Sky.

I have the PS5 upstairs in the bedroom and the router in the front room and Bob are connected via a TP Link starter kit. On my phone currently I’m getting 32mb via WiFi and on the PS5 via TP I’m getting around 5mb. I’ve just hard wired the PS5 to the router with a monitor to test it and I’m getting 170mb so I know it’s not the speed coming to the house that’s the issue.

What can be done to speed this up as that seems awful tbh

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
193 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3


@Lee1ngham wrote:

Hey,

I’m quite new to Virgin as recently moved over from Sky.

I have the PS5 upstairs in the bedroom and the router in the front room and Bob are connected via a TP Link starter kit. On my phone currently I’m getting 32mb via WiFi and on the PS5 via TP I’m getting around 5mb. I’ve just hard wired the PS5 to the router with a monitor to test it and I’m getting 170mb so I know it’s not the speed coming to the house that’s the issue.

What can be done to speed this up as that seems awful tbh


What exact kit is it?

0 Kudos
Reply
Adduxi
  • 2.5K
  • 177
  • 511
Problem sorter
192 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3


@Lee1ngham wrote:

Hey,

I’m quite new to Virgin as recently moved over from Sky.

I have the PS5 upstairs in the bedroom and the router in the front room and Bob are connected via a TP Link starter kit. On my phone currently I’m getting 32mb via WiFi and on the PS5 via TP I’m getting around 5mb. I’ve just hard wired the PS5 to the router with a monitor to test it and I’m getting 170mb so I know it’s not the speed coming to the house that’s the issue.

What can be done to speed this up as that seems awful tbh


If they are powerline adaptors, thats maybe why as they don't always perform well and depend a lot on the state of the house wiring.  Best to hard wire for gaming.  Other than that, maybe invest in a mesh system, Deco seem to be the choice here, but avoid one's with only 100mb ethernet ports.

As for leaving Sky, you may find your gaming performance is not as good, due to higher latency that's inherent with cable broadband.

0 Kudos
Reply
Lee1ngham
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
184 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

PS5, Hub 3 and the TP link starter kit.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
Adduxi
  • 2.5K
  • 177
  • 511
Problem sorter
181 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

I think Carl was looking confirmation that your TP Link kit is, in fact, a set of powerline adaptors?
0 Kudos
Reply
Lee1ngham
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
179 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

Ah sorry I’m not entirely sure but this is what I purchased 

662EA79A-DC60-47DF-9FF0-495D89FAFDA0.jpeg

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
173 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3


@Lee1ngham wrote:

Ah sorry I’m not entirely sure but this is what I purchased 

662EA79A-DC60-47DF-9FF0-495D89FAFDA0.jpeg


That kit only has 100Mbps ethernet posts, so you won't get more than around 90Mbps:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010-kit/ 

On top of that depending on the distance and your home wiring you won't see that speed.

0 Kudos
Reply
Lee1ngham
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
170 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

Ah thanks Carl.

 

The PS5 is diagonally above the router as unable to be put anywhere else so the distance can’t be changed annoyingly. What would you recommend to buy to get higher speeds?

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
157 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3


@Lee1ngham wrote:

Ah thanks Carl.

 

The PS5 is diagonally above the router as unable to be put anywhere else so the distance can’t be changed annoyingly. What would you recommend to buy to get higher speeds?


No chance of running ethernet?

0 Kudos
Reply
Lee1ngham
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
149 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

No as would have to go through the ceiling and round 

0 Kudos
Reply