cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS5 IP packet fragmentation

JoshBroxup
Joining in

I recently got the Hub 5 which was entirely freshly installed, and it was great.

However, the past few days I've experienced extreme lag and packet loss when gaming and my upload speed is minimal. I get the 1g package and my download speed is usually 800-950mbps but my upload rarely hits 20mbps and is usually 10-15mbps. 

I've tried adjusting the MTU to no effect 

1000009714.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

JoshBroxup
Joining in

I am on a wired connection, with another PS5 also wired up.

Both are recieving the same issues. If we switch to Wifi we get Nat Type 3 which is awful, so wired is our only way to go but right now its unplayable.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

see what one is like with the hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Speed test the hub and the console with this link :

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

At the Hub we expect to see speeds that match our subscription level.  i.e. seeing 20 at the Hub is a service fault.

roastspud
On our wavelength

Im also having this issue in modem mode. Something has changed recently to cause this. Im actually at my wits end with Virgin. The supplied hub 5 is garbage and not fit for purpose.. and now modem mode with a third party mesh system (which i have paid for out of my own pocket) has issues. 

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Find that something !

Check for a fault in your street : 0800 561 0061 - yes this is more detailed than the status link.

Does you connection test OK : https://speed.cloudflare.com/

Hub Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub in Router mode, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"     Use http://192.168.100.1/ for a Hub in Modem mode

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16 is a current service noise fault.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Finding which thing is causing a problem is a problem like I play Blu-ray/DVD from my HTPC to TV and the screen would blank 30-60mins anyway turned out to a power DVD update.

So with new routers this can happen but its some what rare for modem mode to cause problems by a firmware update. So test without your router and with hub in modem mode the problem might be routing for all we know.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mr-Hare
On our wavelength

I've noticed my speed test on the PS5 is showing this same thing too. I don't know if it started a week ago when this thread was posted but I noticed mine last night. 

I even reset the hub to factory settings and set it all up again it's still doing it. I'm on a hub 3 and using a wired connection. 

Hi @Mr-Hare, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

How have things been since you posted? Also, are you using any third party equipment at all?

Advice on how to fix slow internet speeds can be found here

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

Mr-Hare
On our wavelength

Hi Daniel. 

To be honest I've not really noticed anything going amiss yet. My speeds seem fine and my bqm wasn't out of the ordinary. It's just the same thing as the OP with the PS5 speed test suddenly saying the router may not support IP fragmentation. I haven't changed anything and the disable IP fragmentation option in the firewall router settings isn't turned on.

So I'm not sure if it's the PS5 speed test being iffy or some backend setting has changed between Sony and Virgin.