Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS4 poor wired upload speeds

Like many that I have seen posted on these community boards I am struggling with poor connection speeds.  It was specifically the upload speed. but latest changes have also halved my download speed.

setup
hub 2ac
original ps4
wired connection (also as standard a WiFi connection gets better upload at 5Mbps but lower download, also seems typical from other posts).
using the ps4 test internet connection menu gets me Download 45.5Mbps (or 92.8 just run another test), and UP-1.2Mbps (now 1.8 after another test)
although i have managed Down - 98Mbps and Up- 4.8 even this though is not enough upload to shareplay.  I've tested my connection with all my other devices, laptop and phone and i get 9.1Mbps upload (tested via speedtest.net and testmy.net)

as far as i am aware i have opened up the required ports as suggested by PlayStation website (and other sites), and have hopefully set my router to assign static IP address to my PS4 - by specifying a reserved DHCP.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to try next

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 poor wired upload speeds

Console speed tests are inaccurate and not an accurate measurement 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yes.  i probably should have also mentioned that in addition to using the ps4 internet connection test, i also tried speedtest.net and testmy.net in the internet browser on the playstation - the results were interesting. speedest reported a download speed that agreed with my other devices but couldnt perform an upload; testmy.net reported an upload speed that agreed with my other devices but the download speed was 21Mbps.

and whilst i get your point about console speeds not being accurate, if these are what the console uses to determine whether you can use 'share-play' or stream your game then what can you do about it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Again speed testing via any means on a console isn’t accurate especially over wireless 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

so how do i fix my connection such that 'share-play' will mwork on my ps4 given that i've said my download and upload connection speeds when tested elsewhere are okay?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The orginal PS4 has been always been slow on the network side.

And NEVER NEVER NEVER use the PSN speed test as a referance, it NEVER gives a TURE reading.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos