Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PS4 poor WiFi speed

Moved to virgin from sky to get better WiFi for the household as we often have kids streaming Netflix and others on ps4 etc. The connection on my sons ps4 via WiFi is poor. I am on the 350mb package and using my laptop on wifi right next to his ps4 I get 200mb yet his ps4 only gets 1mb downloads and 100kb upload. It was fine with sky. What can be done about this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 poor WiFi speed

Sounds like it's the PS4 that's the problem, can you hardwire it instead

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No it’s in my sons bedroom a long way from the virgin hub. How can it be the ps4 when it was fine 3 weeks ago with sky. Nothing else changed. I’ve gone to virgin for better speeds not worse and now I’m stuck. 

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What speed is your PS4 going to the router is it on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.

The 5GHz band will be faster.

The SH (virgin router) is bad for gaming. Best to put it into modem mode, and get your own router. I should know, I was a beta tester for the SH.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Underzzzzzz wrote:

No it’s in my sons bedroom a long way from the virgin hub. How can it be the ps4 when it was fine 3 weeks ago with sky. Nothing else changed. I’ve gone to virgin for better speeds not worse and now I’m stuck. 

Is the VM hub in the exact same location that the Sky router was in?  Is it using the same WiFi channel as the Sky router was?  If either of these things have changed then that might explain the difference.

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

There is a sticky post at the top of the Networking and Wireless board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some powerline adapter reviews here:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/  

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router and the VM hub in modem mode.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Underzzzzzz wrote:

I am not sure why changing your ISP would improve wireless speeds, as a change of ISP would not change your wireless client's capabilities or your wireless environment, both can heavily affect wireless speeds.

As a new customer I assume you have a Hub 3.
I would separate the wireless bands in the Hub's GUI and disable Smart WifI as the Smart WiFi's Airtime Fairness feature could be slowing down the PS4's wireless speeds as the signal would be weak being far away from the Hub.

As mentioned, I would try and optimise the Hub's wireless signal by selecting the best channel as suggested by a wireless scanner like InSSIDer, or WiFi Analyser. The scanner will also show received signal strength which you could test in your Son's bedroom so you can determine if you need additional hardware like a Wireless Access Point wired back to the Hub, or a Powerline Adapter set.
As said, router positioning is crucial, I would try and place the Hub in a central, open position away from obstacles and electrical devices and in an elevated position (not on the floor)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

am trying to obtain some wifi boosters from virgin in the first instance as it seems as thogh the connection is not as good in his room. Getting through to Virgin is easier said than done though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When you get the boosters suggest connecting the PS4 via ethernet cable to the booster. Use the WiFi for phone / tablet in his room

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A long shot but worked better for me in getting a consistent connection. When in the network option for ps4, I pressed the options button and changed the band frequency from 5GHZ to 2.5GHZ and then set up my network connection. It's shown to improve massively my stage connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, boosters come today so will see how it goes with them.

0 Kudos