Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS4 no longer connects to WiFi

After 6 months of no problems my PS4 no longer connects to Wi-Fi and is asking for a proxy server. It’s never done this before.

Playstation Network etc is working fine for everyone else so the issue isn’t there. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 no longer connects to WiFi

Are other wireless devices working OK?  Have you tried a test with the PS4 connected with an Ethernet cable to see if it is just a wireless issue?

A quick Google shows some people with similar symptoms but haven't seen a solution yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/comments/etllo5/why_does_my_ps4_keep_asking_about_a_proxy_serve...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It’s not feasible to use an Ethernet cable, all other devices are working fine including an Xbox. The PS4 was working fine for 6 months.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Based on the similar posts I have found online this appears to be a glitch with the PS4 and so you might be better taking this up with Sony.  It seems like the WiFi settings that are stored on the PS4 maybe corrupted and you need to remove them and reconnect.  As far as I can tell the only sure fire way of removing the settings is to initialise the PS4, but that is a bit drastic.

Another option could be to setup a guest network on your hub and try connecting the PS4 to the guest wireless SSID.  If the issue is just with the settings stored for the main VM SSID on your PS4, then connecting to a new one could bypass the issue.  You could also test this by renaming your main VM SSID but that impacts all your other wireless devices that would need to be setup for the new SSID and may not fix the issue.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos