Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PS4 losing connection

Hi, I'm not an expert on this type of stuff so bare with me! Using hub 3.0 with virgin wifi boosters and an ethernet cable connecting from wall socket to playstation 4. 

Experiencing constant high latency and dropped packets when online gaming. This is causing a very poor connection and at times a complete drop off in signal. My download speed remains fairly high throughout. Pinging PS4 directly shows a 25% packet loss when in use.

Tried a number of fixes:

Reset both the boosters and the hub - helped for a few days before reverting

Experimented with wired connection to booster / just using booster over wifi / completely removing the boosters altogether - best with ethernet cable connected to booster.

Followed the advice of some other related forum posts with no noticable difference; mainly reserving IP address of PS4 in 'DHCP settings', port forwarding and creating a DMZ. 

Ran a QBM showing latency spikes every time I use online gaming 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/917a9ac94d53aaa1b2523e380f40d229e445b3e2

Again I'm not an expert on this stuff so no guarentee I've done any of these correctly but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 losing connection

Wiring direct to the hub will be better.

Wifi and powerline adaptors (or a combination of both) is not a stable way to get a connection. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately not possible with the configuration of the house, thanks anyway 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not much more can be done then.

Also there’s nothing wrong with your BQM graph - it’s perfectly fine. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@desthompson wrote:

Unfortunately not possible with the configuration of the house, thanks anyway 

If you can't move the PS4 temporarily to test it connected direct to the hub with Ethernet then unfortunately you can't rule out faulty boosters or noise on your electrical wiring impacting the boosters (mobile phone chargers for example can generate a lot of noise on your electrical circuit).

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos