Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS4 kills my wifi

Basically when I put on my ps4 after a few minutes the wi-fi signal is killed off.  I have to reboot the router and ensure the PS4 is off in order for the wi-fi to function again.  Has happened twice this week, and both times I had the ps4 on so it is definitely the culprit.  Using wireless on a Hub 3.  Any advice? 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 kills my wifi

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi, basically allsorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Best thing to do is purchase a Gigabit enabled wifi router and use that instead of the Hub wifi.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@nevet19 wrote:

Basically when I put on my ps4 after a few minutes the wi-fi signal is killed off.  I have to reboot the router and ensure the PS4 is off in order for the wi-fi to function again.  Has happened twice this week, and both times I had the ps4 on so it is definitely the culprit.  Using wireless on a Hub 3.  Any advice? 

Thanks. 

If you search on Google you will find a few people reporting this but I haven't seen a solution yet.  It is not unique to VM, this is a thread from a BT user:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/6inzac/ps4_brings_down_wifi_pls_help/

I'm not sure that buying a third party router will fix this as if it can impact other non VM routers then it might not help.  I would suggest trying the PS4 with an Ethernet connection to see if that helps.  I have not experienced this personally, but I connect my PS4 via Ethernet.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try turning off remote play on the PS4 if it’s on.  It transmits a WiFi signal that could be interfering. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@tonycv51 wrote:

Try turning off remote play on the PS4 if it’s on.  It transmits a WiFi signal that could be interfering. 

As I understand it this is only true if you have the "Connect Directly with PS Vita/PS TV" option under Remote Play ticked.

remote play.jpg

Just tried a quick test on my PS4 Pro and it only started transmitting a WiFi signal when I went to the "Add Device" option so even with the direct option enabled it doesn't transmit by default.  This may be different with other PS4 models or if the PS4 is not connecting via Ethernet.

In addition the connect direct feature, if active, would prevent the PS4 from going online via wireless as the OP says they have it connected.  Worth checking the setting though.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It could also be interference on the 2.4ghz band from any Bluetooth devices  connected to the PS4, or if the tv or other devices plugged into it have direct connect direct/guest mode etc turned on. 

Would suggest doing a WiFi survey, also turn off the hub smart WiFi setting

0 Kudos