Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PS4 causes connection death.

I have HUB 3.0 and have had it installed around 5-6 months, on the 100mbps plan. Have broadband, TV and phone (though I don't use the phone) the fibre I have was laid recently in the last few years and the cables to my house are all brand new with no damage or loose connections.

My issue is this; everytime I use my playstation 4 to game online (regardless of the game). The internet will absolutely tank, guaranteed. Can go from a strong 85mbps+ to below 1mbps within minutes. 

When i stop playing it goes back up within the hour (generally). If I reset/hard reset the router I may get 20 minutes of decent connection before it goes again or it might go back to where it was so I'm having to reset my router 6/7 times a day to get a few hours of gaming time.

It has been like this for weeks and I have regular repeated recordings via speedtest.net as proof. I got this internet package so I could game with my friends and it seems to have gone the opposite way. Anybody help please?

P.s. my PS4 is hardwired and the router is 10 inch away from it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 causes connection death.

have to tried connecting it on wifi only? just to see if its the lead connecting to the hub?

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have been saying this for years, the SH3 is useless to game with when in router mode, its firmware and commputing power is rubbish. It was designed for web browsing / email / streaming, NEVER GAMING.

I myself use the SH3 in modem mode, with an ASUS router. This works for my household.

I game on PC / PS4Pro wired, and my son on an Xbox on wifi, we can both be gaming at same time with no issue.

I am not saying this way will work for everyone.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I haven't tried that yet but I shall for nothing. Issue is that it's the connection dies everywhere for everything, not just the PS4, both wired and wireless connections degrade to nothing so no matter how it is connected it will still be experienced 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So you would reccomend getting an external router? Would this be something VM would have to set up for me? 

Thank you for your reply 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its your choice to get you own router, and NO VM will not set it up for you.

I got a router, because it works for me, i cant say it will work for you.

--
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MidnightOwl94 wrote:

So you would reccomend getting an external router? Would this be something VM would have to set up for me? 

@MidnightOwl94 Before you go and spend money on another router it is worth bearing in mind that it might be a fault with the PS4 rather than the VM hub, in which case a new router wouldn't fix it. The reason I say this is that I have seen a few people report similar issues ever since the PS4 was launched.  Mainly on Playstation forums and few of them are VM customers so won't be using the same router as you.  I haven't seen a definitive cause and solution to the issue.

It might be a faulty hub, but I'm struggling to come up with a fault that would be PS4 specific.  I would expect faulty Ethernet ports for example to exhibit this behaviour when any wired device was plugged in. However if it is a faulty hub then VM will replace it for free.

Roger is suggesting a solution for an issue that AFAIK he has never had so is giving advice based on his dislike of the Hub 3 and not on the specific issue you have.  I'm not saying a third party router isn't a good idea, I have one myself for many reasons, I'm just saying it isn't guaranteed to resolve your current issue.

I haven't looked into this particular issue in a while so I'll try to do some research while I'm furloughed to see if I can find anything new.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BTW I am RedGooner, Not Roger_Gooner

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

BTW I am RedGooner, Not Roger_Gooner

Sorry, got my Gooners mixed up. 😖

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MidnightOwl94 I have not managed to find anything new on this issue.

All the threads I found on Reddit or Playstation forums discussing a similar issue are from a few years ago. Some turned out to be background downloads or uploads hogging bandwidth and some it appears were fixed by using a different router.  There are suggestions that you need a router with Quality Of Service settings to throttle the bandwidth used by the PS4.  That has not been my experience with either my original model PS4 or PS4 Pro.  I have QOS on my router but it is turned off as all my devices seem to play nice and I have not needed to turn it on.

I had previously thought this was an issue that got fixed via a system software update, hence the lack of recent posts about it but your experience suggests otherwise.

Did you try connecting via WiFi to see if it is exclusively an Ethernet issue?

Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable for the PS4?

Another useful diagnostic is to try the PS4 on a friend's Internet connection to see if it exhibits the same behaviour, but obviously that isn't possible right now.

0 Kudos