Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Wireless Connection Issue

Hi,

Got a new PS4 and connected to wifi, initially after a bit of faffing and needing to manually input the PS4's DNS settings. (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). (I found this fix via google, when I initially failed to get connected). 

Played for a couple of days and everything was running smoothly when the PS4 dropped connection mid-game.

Try as I might, I can't get it to reconnect and I get the 'timed out' message, whenever I do try. 

Wifi runs two networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5 ghz. Issue is the same on both. 

I've rebooted the router and the PS4 countless times, to no avail. 

I have tethered to my phone's 4G connection and all works well when I do that. 

Wired conmection isn't an option, unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would likely stop me going round the bend!

I came straight here after reading of others' experiences with VM support.

TIA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Wireless Connection Issue

I have been gaming on VM for over 10years now. I have never had to change the DNS at all.

I have found over the years the SH (does not matter what version) is useless for gaming, and the SH3 is the worst.

The Wifi on the SH is beyond rubbish, in all my time with VM, i have run in Modem Mode, with my own router. This works for me, i am not saying it will work for you. But in my setup we can game on PC, PS4Pro, and an Xbox all at the same time.

Years ago, i was told by a MOD of VM forums to stop telling VM customers re Modem Mode, a month later the same VM MOD, corrected himself, and told me i was correct. I have had a few enginners visit my house, and each time, they say its the best way.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Wireless Connection Issue

Hi RedGooner,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The reason I swerved contacting Virgin wad that I'd read so many stories on here of their call centre people not having an answer to this.

I am happy to look at getting my own router, as that's a solution that seems fairly common. Can you direct me to a decent one and any instructions as to how that would all be set up, please?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos