cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4 - Keep getting kicked out of games and parties intermittently

Johnnyfaddo
Tuning in

Hi,

My set up currently is, I have my Playstation in my backroom, but my router is in the front room. So to help with signal I bought a WiFi extender and I just connect to that, everything worked great over a year. 

However, a couple of days back, I was downloading a game update and it was taking a long time, so I got a Ethernet wire and plugged it from the extender into the back of my PS4, it flew through it and was done in a matter of minutes. 

Since then, I intermittently have issues. Sometimes I will be playing GTA, whilst in a party and everyone says my voice goes strange, then it says on the game that everyone in the session has left, then I get booted from the game.

Other times, I have been playing Star Trek on the VR, and it just kicks me from games, I finally join again, for it to do the same thing again a couple of minutes later, other times it keeps the connection for a couple of hours, then eventually drops out again.

Sometimes it removes me from parties, sometimes it doesn't, it has disconnected me from Playstation Plus once. 

I have tried both WiFi and LAN.

All my WiFi/LAN settings are done automatically

I spoke to VM a couple of days back, when VM said it wasn't there problem, they put me through to a third party tech team or something? Who mentioned port forwarding, put me on hold for 20 minutes and then I got put through to VM again (without being told) and they tried to put me back through to the tech team, at this point it had been well over an hour, so I hung up.

I looked online for port fowarding and found this article: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/How-to-set-up-Port-Forwarding/ba-p/3530654 which seems to be slightly outdated, but managed to add the rules, but unfortunately it didn't make a difference, I then carried on searching and added and removed a lot of rules, but again, to no avail.

I am not a massive gamer, but for the money I pay, I expect the internet to be working a lot better.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Lots of possible things that could be causing this, but that bit about your voice going funny suggests to me that latency and/or packet loss may be involved.  I'd start off by suggesting you visit Thinkbroadband, set up an account, then create a Broadband Quality Monitor, let it run for 24-48 hours, see what it shows.  If all is well it should look like this:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

But I'm guessing that it might not. The slightest bit of red fringing at the top is bad news, as is a thick blue line, or a much taller yellow fringe. You may also want to connect to the hub and post here the contents of the Network status for Upstream, Downstream and the Network log.

As I say, lots of things it could be, but these tests will help us identify whether there's an issue with your cable connection, or whether to focus on the hub or your LAN and devices.

Hi,

Great, I'll set that up.

Do I put in the IP address of the PS4 or do I put the IP address of the computer it is set up on?

Thanks

IPThinkBroadband.png

Hey,

So I put the monitor on last night and this is what were getting up to now.

PS4Monitor.png

However, last night my internet kept dropping out on my laptop aswell as my PS4. 
So I called Virgin and they said they are sending an engineer on Saturday. So will keep you posted (Y) 

Thanks

Are both connected via wifi, if so what happens if you connect them directly with an ethernet cable?

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Johnnyfaddo, 

How're things since your last post on Thursday?

Have you been able to try things over a wired connection as Stevedh2 has suggested?

Alex_Rm

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies on this thread.

Since the engineer has been out it seems to be working much better.

He said that it looked like the previous tennants had a few aerial wires coming into the one box that went no where else, so it looks like it generates "noise" (?) and it gets worse over time, so I guess he got shut of them and (I dare say) it seems to be working a lot better now.

Thanks,

John

Dochoa
Joining in

Hello, I am Just experiencing this same problem a year later only after the latest update for the PS4. I wanted To ask how it has been going since? How would you go about trying to resolve it? 

Hi Dochoa,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with the connection when gaming.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Any change since your post?

Alex_Rm