Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Game Disconnects

Both my sons Ps4 connections via WiFi are disconnecting from servers mid game. It’s impossible to wire them in as they are too far from the router. We have tried a WiFi booster but seems to be worse if anything when using that. We did not have this issue with sky so I know it’s not the ps4. Virgin WiFi seems poor and it’s seems you only get a decent connection when wired in which is just not practical. Is there anything I can do to improve the WiFi. Raj speed test on my phone and I have full WiFi signal yet when upstairs I only get a 14 mb speed when I’m paying for 350mb. I can get 120mb when in same room as router. I also see 20ms of jitter but not sure if that would be the issue for the game disconnects. 

please help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Game Disconnects

Hi,

Log into your router by typing 192.168.0.1 into your internet browser, you will be asked for a password which is an 8 digit number on the bottom of the router when inside the settings on the left side click Advanced settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal then underneath smart wifi click disable channel optimisation, then on that same page there is 2 options for channel width the top one should be 20/40 and the bottom 20/40/80 then click apply changes this should give you a little boost.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Phil. I have already disabled the optimisation but will check those other settings. Is it worth splitting off the 2.4 and 5.0 networks?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Underzzzzzz, 

you said you tried WiFi boosters, was this the VM boosters?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-is-a-powerline-booster

what router do you have (SH2, SH3).

if you PM me your account number I can look at your router, and check to see if there is any issues

Cheers
Rod
VM Feild Tech

why not recommend a friend and earn yourself £50 off your bill, PM me for more info

If I've been helpful, please click the Kudos button

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yes i have tried the VM Boosters and if anything they seem to make it worse, maybe too much traffic through it. Ive just ran diagnostics and got this. I will PM you the account number. Your help is much appreciated.

1Gateway IPv4 address is valid.
2Your broadband connection is working.
3The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.
4The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
5The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
6The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
7The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
8The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
9The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
10The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
11The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
12Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Underzzzzzz As far as I know the VM boosters are powerline adapters with Ethernet connections at each end, yes?  Is it any better if at least one of the consoles is connected to the adapters via Ethernet?

The VM hub 3 is notoriously bad for wireless and UPNP.  If you have two consoles in use at the same time that use the same ports then UPNP is the only way to ensure traffic is routed to the correct console as you can't use port forwarding.  It would be helpful to know if a wired connection, via the powerline adapters, is more stable and if it is more stable if only one PS4 is in use.

Which model of PS4 are they?  The original PS4 only supports the 2.4Ghz band, the later Slim and Pro models also support 5Ghz which is usually faster and less prone to interference from external sources but doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4Ghz.  If they are later models then splitting the bands would allow you to control which one they connect to and see if it makes any difference. 

If you were to get your own router and put the VM hub into modem mode then you would almost certainly get better wireless strength upstairs and more reliable UPNP, but gaming is always better wired even via power lines.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos