Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Ethernet cable obtains IP address but no internet connection

When I connect through WiFi on the PS4 it connects fine but the strength isn’t as good so I need to use Ethernet cable. However when I try to use Ethernet cable it doesn’t connect which is really annoying. Anything to help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Ethernet cable obtains IP address but no internet connection

Can you test the cable on any other device to confirm that it is working OK, or try a different cable?

Does the LED next to the Ethernet port on both the Hub and the PS4 light up and flicker when connected?

Just trying to narrow it down to a fault with the cable, the hub or the Ethernet port on the PS4.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I connected the same Ethernet cable to my laptop and it said no internet access. So I used windows network diagnostic and found a problem which is “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adil321

I am sorry you're having issues with connecting your ethernet to your devices to receive a service.  Can I ask if there is a yellow light in the port, on the hub that you're connecting the ethernet cable to?  If there is no light showing, it sounds as though there may be an issue with the port.  If the port it lit up, there may be an issue with the ethernet cable.

Please do keep us posted.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@Adil321 wrote:

I connected the same Ethernet cable to my laptop and it said no internet access. So I used windows network diagnostic and found a problem which is “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. 

So that would rule out a fault with the PS4, but still leaves either a faulty cable or a faulty port on the hub. The next step would be to try a different Ethernet cable.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

The light on the router lights up so the cable works. Also on my tv that I have connected via Ethernet with a different cable doesn’t connect because it says cannot obtain IP address so there isn’t an issue with the Ethernet cables. No devices connect via Ethernet which I don’t understand why.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Adil321 wrote:

The light on the router lights up so the cable works. Also on my tv that I have connected via Ethernet with a different cable doesn’t connect because it says cannot obtain IP address so there isn’t an issue with the Ethernet cables. No devices connect via Ethernet which I don’t understand why.  

As you have tested with multiple devices and cables, then that suggests that the fault lies with the VM hub.  The only thing I can think of is to try a full factory reset to see if that fixes it.  Instructions here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

This will reset all hub settings to the default ones, so any changes you have made to the hub settings will be lost.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I reset the router and I can confirm it now works via Ethernet. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@Adil321 wrote:

I reset the router and I can confirm it now works via Ethernet. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it is working for you now 😊

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

This problem has happened again and I have to keep resetting the router to default for it to maybe work so I don’t know what to do. 

0 Kudos